Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Strange WPF Textbox Problem

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    jh71283

Hello All.

I Have a WPF Textbox on a window.

It receives keydown events, but it is not possible to change the text in the textbox.

The Space, Backspace and delete keys work to change text that is already there, but none of the letters work( even though, as I said, the keydown events are registering ok)

I suspect, although I don't know why, that the events are being intercepted somewhere along the line, but I am not sure how I would go about finding out where exactly.

Can anybody give me a nudge in the right direction?

• User profile image
    KAE

http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/showpost.aspx?postid=1104593&siteid=1

"Proper input interop with a non-WPF host (such as WinForms) requires some cooperation between the host and the WPF input system. The topic Sharing Message Loops Between Win32 and WPF  in the SDK explains this well. At a minimum, you have to call ComponentDispatcher.RaiseThreadMessage() from the host’s message loop. In your setup, the easiest way to make this happen is to use code like this:

Window w = new Window1();

System.Windows.Forms.Integration.ElementHost.EnableModelessKeyboardInterop(w);

w.Show();

ElementHost.EnableModelessKeyboardInterop() essentially registers an input hook with the WinForms Application object (which normally runs the message loop) and calls ComponentDispatcher.RaiseThreadMessage()."

• User profile image
    jh71283

Wow that's spooky - I've just started looking into this again this morning, after leaving it alone for months!

You, my friend are a superstar, cos this has solved the problem outright Smiley

• User profile image
    Eric Rasmussen

KAE said:

"Proper input interop with a non-WPF host (such as WinForms) requires some cooperation between the host and the WPF input system. The topic Sharing Message Loops Between Win32 and WPF  in the SDK explains this well. At a minimum, you have to call ComponentDispatcher.RaiseThreadMessage() from the host’s message loop. In your setup, the easiest way to make this happen is to use code like this:

w.Show();

ElementHost.EnableModelessKeyboardInterop() essentially registers an input hook with the WinForms Application object (which normally runs the message loop) and calls ComponentDispatcher.RaiseThreadMessage()."

You are a rock star! I can't believe I missed this until now. I have 3-4 Wpf windows that I developed outside of my WinForms project and then moved into the project. I just spotted this problem after 2 months and spent a sleepless night troubleshooting to no avail.
    You have saved me much aggravation!
    Thanks much

• User profile image
    andrew.geer

KAE said:

w.Show();

Thanks, KAE! I was Google-ing this issue for quite a while. I knew I should have searched for "Strange WPF Textbox Problem" Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.