Tech Off Thread

6 posts

sending db diagrams to your customers (2005)

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    harumscarum

How you people send your sql server 2005 diagrams to customers? I have hit a bit of a snag because it seems that visio 2003 can not reverse engineer sql server 2005.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I do them in Access's database designer (as a frontend for SQL Server), then take screenshots and piece them together in Photoshop

It's a kludge....

• User profile image
    zhuo

I always take a screenshot and paste it in paint. Works reasonably well unless if you have a lot of tables.

• User profile image
    Johnny​Awesome

W3bbo wrote:
    I do them in Access's database designer (as a frontend for SQL Server), then take screenshots and piece them together in Photoshop

It's a kludge....

Holy s-balls. I used to do that back in the day with some level of frequency. I have never heard of anyone else doing that. I started out doing a lot of heavy VBA stuff in the late 90's so I was always really at home in the Access environment. I always presumed that was so hacked that nobody else would find a reason to do that.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

JohnnyAwesome wrote:
    Holy s-balls. I used to do that back in the day with some level of frequency. I have never heard of anyone else doing that. I started out doing a lot of heavy VBA stuff in the late 90's so I was always really at home in the Access environment. I always presumed that was so hacked that nobody else would find a reason to do that.

It's because at the time, I used a combination of Enterprise Manager, Query Analyzer, and MS Access.

Access made a nice alternative for editing a single DB compared to EM since the UI felt more polished. I used QA for editing and creating sprocs and queries.

But the main thing was that Enterprise Manager's Database designs crashed Access, and vice-versa, I never knew why, but that's what made me do everything in either EM or Access.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

ahh yes I should have started with Access Mad Ended up downloading visio 2007 and all was well.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.