Tech Off Thread

1 post

ASP.NET 2.0 databinding to webservice

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

This is driving me crazy!

I developed a very simple webservice, just one webmethod that returns a datatable.

Then, in my ASP.NET 2.0 website, I added a web reference to this webservice, and used the ObjectDataSource to databind the results to a DataList. 
    So far so good, everything works like a charm on my dev machine.

BUT when I put this website online, it doesn't work anymore!!!

When using Eval("FileName") in the DataList I get the following error:

System.Web.HttpException: DataBinding: 'Webmedia.GetImagesResponseGetImagesResult' does not contain a property with the name 'FileName'.

Webmedia is just the name I gave to the web reference, and GetImages is the name of the Webmethod that I call in the Webservice.
    FileName is one of the fields in the DataTable that the webservice function returns.

When using Container.DataItem("FileName") the error changes to:

System.MissingMemberException: No default member found for type 'GetImagesResponseGetImagesResult'.

Again, no matter which technique I use, it works perfectly when I run the website on my local Windows 2003 server.
    (it doesn't matter whether I run the webservice online or locally as well, it works both ways)
    Only when I run the website from the server on the Internet, I get the above server errors!
    I even tried on 2 different hosting servers to be sure it isn't related to the webserver itself...

Anyone please have a clue what is happening here?

Thanks!!!

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.