Tech Off Thread

18 posts

Recommend WYSIWYG HTML Editor - Commerical or other

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • quantass

By WYSIWYG HTML editor i mean those html editors embedded on webpages which people so commonly use to compose messages containing text formatting and images.  I do not mean desktop applications like Frontpage.

Our online website makes use of a simple WYSIWYG HTML editor (FCKeditor ) to allow admins to compose an HTML page to be presented to users.  The current editor is very limiting and want to find a more capable one.

We require:
    + Can add/edit table tables
    + Copy-paste from MS Word (containing tables, photos, formatted text), maintain proper look
    + Autosave
    + Image alignments / text wrapping

We are willing to pay for a quality commerical wysiwyg html editor.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Custa1200

We recently bought a few licenses of the Telerik RAD Editor for our MOSS installation.Seems pretty powerful to me.

• W3bbo

quantass wrote:
    By WYSIWYG HTML editor i mean those html editors embedded on webpages which people so commonly use to compose messages containing text formatting and images.  I do not mean desktop applications like Frontpage.

Our online website makes use of a simple WYSIWYG HTML editor (FCKeditor ) to allow admins to compose an HTML page to be presented to users.  The current editor is very limiting and want to find a more capable one.

We require:
    + Can add/edit table tables
    + Copy-paste from MS Word (containing tables, photos, formatted text), maintain proper look
    + Autosave
    + Image alignments / text wrapping

We are willing to pay for a quality commerical wysiwyg html editor.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I personally recommend widgEdit, but it's very basic in terms of what it offers to users, but produces the cleanest XHTML of all of them. You can easily edit it to add AutoSave (via AJAX?) support.

Most of the stuff you're after: tables and image/text alignment is a part of the standard browser features which all rich-editors use, including widgEdit.

• SlackmasterK

A Virtual Lab running Visual Web Developer 2005? 
    Hire a Web Developer?

• Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

SlackmasterK wrote:
    A Virtual Lab running Visual Web Developer 2005? 
    Hire a Web Developer?

Did you even read the original post?

• TadejK

I'd recommend taking a good look at TinyMCE (http://tinymce.moxiecode.com/). It's really great, and the only downside is that the file and image managers aren't free. But that's not really a problem due to the fact that a few free ones exist, just not written by moxiecode. I've actually written one myself ..

• vaskess

I would also suggest Telerik's RadEditor. Its got table editing with context menu, paste from Word with automatic HTML cleaning, autosave through AJAX, and even a spell checker. As to image wrapping, it is supported through the browser, so this should not be an issue.

Give it a try and share your thoughts!

V.

• esoteric

I was about to ask the same question. The one in phpBB2 doesn't appear to work with Opera, or I'm doing something wrong. I haven't tried the phpBB3 one (not even sure if it's "built-in").

• odujosh

vaskess wrote:
    I would also suggest Telerik's RadEditor. Its got table editing with context menu, paste from Word with automatic HTML cleaning, autosave through AJAX, and even a spell checker. As to image wrapping, it is supported through the browser, so this should not be an issue.

Give it a try and share your thoughts!

V.

Telerik ++;

Hire web developer

Raises Exception should a web developer
    add content to the site. In any content driven site the answer is 
    always no. Web Developer should be developing structure the content can live in that users can modify. Only static sites should the opposite be true. Otherwise the answer will some day approach it is a static site because eventually your web dev will realize how monkey like his her job is and move on.

Telerik makes this easy. I don't know what your paying web devs. Grand easily less than a weeks salary.

• stevo_

Personally from what I've seen of Telerik, it's a bag of ...

I did a quick test on changing some of the basics, such as changing a span of text to a different font..

Instantly the html now included a big fat <font /> tag..

Lovely..

Telerik... for those who haven't heard of xhtml..

• rhm

I'd like an editor that can take a list of css styles to place in a drop-down and allows the user to select them, applying the correct class= markup instead of creating either outdated tag soup (FONT tags anyone?) or using all inline styles.

• WebGk.com

It would be a good idea to have such kind of wysiwyg. But don't you think so, it will be heavier to load your website/page time?

• webmonkey

rhm wrote:
    I'd like an editor that can take a list of css styles to place in a drop-down and allows the user to select them, applying the correct class= markup instead of creating either outdated tag soup (FONT tags anyone?) or using all inline styles.

FCKEditor does that.

You just pop your styles in a stylesheet, declare them in an XML file and it works!

The first thing I do is remove the font/colour buttons.

Incidently I made an editor a couple of years ago, it lacked some of the functionality of many others, like adding/removing table rows/cols but it produced valid XHTML (assuming you didn't go and mess something up). It was fairly accessible code too because it forced you to do certain things, like alt tags, associating labels with controls, table headers etc.

• TadejK

webmonkey wrote:

rhm wrote:

FCKEditor does that.

Yeah, so does TinyMCE .. you just point it to the right css, and tell it which styles you want it to use .. and it just works Wink

Regards,
    Tadej

• Dudleigh

The two most ubiquitous free WYSIWYG editors are TinyMCE and Freetextbox. TinyMCE is in a ton of stuff including the Umbraco CMS and and the fabulous BlogEngine.net. FreeTextBox is favoured by the likes of Community Server (maybe even your humble Channel 9 editor).

Personally speaking I found free textbox a pain to learn because there was'nt a lot of material around (this may have changed). the forums were information deserts. TinyMCE is very popular and is very well documented. Telerik's documentation is first class, they have tutorials for common scenario's like persisting text to a database (which you can use for the other editors as well).

Of the non-free WYSIWYG editors, Telerik's has all the bells-and-whistles (very loud ones too). Consequently, you will need to copy large files to you webserver to get it to work, where the former two are very lightweight and clean.

I wouldn't fret two much, because at the end of the day these are all just augmented rich text editor controls. A pragmantic view would be to first try TinyMCE (as it's free), there is an excellent tutorial here with it wrapped in Ajax. You soon see that implementing it is a doddle, but if more control is needed then you can pay for it.

• rhm

webmonkey wrote:

rhm wrote:

FCKEditor does that.

You just pop your styles in a stylesheet, declare them in an XML file and it works!

The first thing I do is remove the font/colour buttons.

Incidently I made an editor a couple of years ago, it lacked some of the functionality of many others, like adding/removing table rows/cols but it produced valid XHTML (assuming you didn't go and mess something up). It was fairly accessible code too because it forced you to do certain things, like alt tags, associating labels with controls, table headers etc.

Just had a quick look at FCKEditor - looks really nice. I'll have to give it a proper try-out when I get home. Thanks for the recommendation as I hadn't heard of that one before.

TinyMCE is used by the blogging software my personal website uses. It's OK I guess, but I hadn't seen it used with a style-based formatting setup before (most developers seem to think people can only deal with apps that are like Wordpad and make you format everything by hand).

• odujosh

rhm wrote:

Telerik allows this. (Highlight an entire line item[li])

will result in:
    <li class='whatever'> my line item </li>

http://www.telerik.com/demos/aspnet/Editor/Examples/StylesAndExternalCssFiles/DefaultCS.aspx

If you select a part of a line or element it does you font tags. If all you will ever be editing it with is your chosen WYSIWIG editor like Telerik I am not sure font tags are a big deal. Curious why they didn't go with Span?

• odujosh

stevo_ wrote:
    Personally from what I've seen of Telerik, it's a bag of ...

I did a quick test on changing some of the basics, such as changing a span of text to a different font..

Instantly the html now included a big fat <font /> tag..

Lovely..

Telerik... for those who haven't heard of xhtml..

hmm not sure why they didn't go with span. I am not religious zealot on the topic specially if it all I have to pay to make a site CMS enabled.

Doesn't Channel 9 use Telerik?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.