Tech Off Thread

8 posts

Debug Visualizer

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • JoshB

I'm not sure if this is possible but everytime I think that, someone comes a long and says, "oh we've been doing that for years." So here goes...

I'm looking for a tool that while debugging, I can get a visual on the current objects in memory, the variables (or references) pointing to those objects and be able to see new objects being created, pointers being pointed at other objects and maybe even see an overview of your memory and how much each object is taking up.

Any ideas? If there's not something out there, does .NET have any support in the bcl for something like it?

Thanks in advance,
    Josh

• Pon

Read about Debugger Visualisers in the MSDN documentation.

• littleguru

Pon wrote:
    Read about Debugger Visualisers in the MSDN documentation.

Actually he is wanting something else...

• Pon

Yeah, my bad, I must have been having a caffeine crash.

If you're using .net, you could probably use the CLR profiler to capture lots of information like this. It shows some pretty interesting stuff like the memory layout and such.

• littleguru

Yeah - the profiler API would be find for that...

• nightski

If only the profiling api wasn't unmanaged, would be easier to whip up some WPF visualizations.  But it makes sense I guess.

• littleguru

nightski wrote:
    If only the profiling api wasn't unmanaged, would be easier to whip up some WPF visualizations.  But it makes sense I guess.

DotTrace uses that API and is a managed application...

• nightski

littleguru wrote:

nightski wrote:

DotTrace uses that API and is a managed application...

Well you have to write the profiling component as an in process COM server.  Then you could use interop to interact with it.  Definately possible, just not something I could whip up in a few hours hehe.  Someone with more experience with COM maybe Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.