Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Email address with IP address instead of domain name?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    cheong

I encountered a email server that requires RDNS query to be successful in order to receive mails.

That leads me to the thought that: If I applied the boardband plans that includes a static IP address, could I use it directly in my email address instead of the domain name? (say cheong@127.0.0.1, replacing the IP with the static IP) If so, what happens if the server do a RDNS query to an IP address?

Requesting ISPs to add RDNS record often requires service charge, it'll be handy of there's some way to get rid of it, especially if I'm lucky enough to gain a easy-to-remember IP address... Tongue Out

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Kolin

Its not posible to send email by ip address.

• User profile image
    phreaks

Kolin wrote:

Yes it is.

http://rfc.net/rfc2822.html

• User profile image
    hodo

The ISP's I deal with don't charge for DNS changes.  It's usually just a simple support request. 

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Kolin wrote:

It is possible, you just have to surround the IP address with square brackets (i.e. jonathon@[66.112.45.34]).  I don't think many email providers will accept emails sent from an IP address, though.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.