Tech Off Thread

10 posts

Visual Studio 2003

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    rilter7

Hello,

Today I worked with one of my developers on an interesting issue and I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem.

The developer was working on a project in VS 2003, he would attempt to run a test application, which was a winform, in debug mode and VS would hang. The only way get out of this was to kill VS.

When working with him on the issue I noticed he had a large number of files open within VS so I closed all of them except for the winform. Once I did this the application ran fine.

Is there a limit to the number of files which can be open at one time within VS? I did not count the number of open files but my guess would be around 50. This seems like this would be a small upper limit.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

• User profile image
    rcardona

Have you applied all service packs?

• User profile image
    rilter7

I believe he is running SP1, I will verify once I get in touch with the developer.

• User profile image
    odujosh

rilter7 wrote:

Is there a limit to the number of files which can be open at one time within VS? I did not count the number of open files but my guess would be around 50. This seems like this would be a small upper limit.

The limit is system based. If you have 512 MB of ram the limit would be different then 1 or 2 GB of ram. Its not really a VS limitation. Why would you need 50 files open at once anyways ? Smiley  Its a much safer practice to keep open only the files you are making changes to or reviewing. Something tells me your exceeding this rule of thumb a little drastically.

Try opening 50 instances of IE or firefox tabs and watch your response time crawl as well.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

odujosh wrote:
     Why would you need 50 files open at once anyways

50 source-code text files open in VS (assuming they're all around 5KiB) shouldn't even bring a 256MB machine down. VS's RAM increases logarithmically for each source file open in the same project.

• User profile image
    figuerres

rilter7 wrote:
    Hello,

Today I worked with one of my developers on an interesting issue and I was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem.

The developer was working on a project in VS 2003, he would attempt to run a test application, which was a winform, in debug mode and VS would hang. The only way get out of this was to kill VS.

When working with him on the issue I noticed he had a large number of files open within VS so I closed all of them except for the winform. Once I did this the application ran fine.

what kind of files?
    code, forms, resources (like bitmaps etc...)

was the project in version control?

how much ram on the machine?

what addins are installed to VS ?

does the app use a local database (SQL or Access or?? )

what other app were running?

CPU speed?

type of CPU ?

OS ?  (XP, PRO,HOME,X64,Vista/Vista x64 etc...)

all of them could affect the way VS was responding.

• User profile image
    rilter7

Thanks for all of you responses.

figuerres,

IBM ThinkPad T43.

what kind of files? code files, xml, xsl and one winform

was the project in version control? yes, VSS.

how much ram on the machine? 2 GB

what addins are installed to VS ? none

does the app use a local database (SQL or Access or?? ) It accesses a SQL server database but it never reached this point. It wouldn't even show the winform.

what other app were running? Filemon

CPU speed? 1.86 GHz

type of CPU ? Intel Pentium

OS ?  (XP, PRO,HOME,X64,Vista/Vista x64 etc...) XP Pro SP2

I also verified that SP1 for Visual Studio has been installed.

• User profile image
    odujosh

W3bbo wrote:

odujosh wrote:

50 source-code text files open in VS (assuming they're all around 5KiB) shouldn't even bring a 256MB machine down. VS's RAM increases logarithmically for each source file open in the same project.

Its is all the work it does in the background that is the problem. Think background saving for 50 open files or checking thereof.

I have seen Building tree structure messages in Windows XP when working with 2 TB of Data local and a few network drives. So never overlook the penalty of overegineering.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

odujosh wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

odujosh wrote:

Its is all the work it does in the background that is the problem. Think background saving for 50 open files or checking thereof.

I have seen Building tree structure messages in Windows XP when working with 2 TB of Data local and a few network drives. So never overlook the penalty of overegineering.

50 source code files wouldn't even tax a good processor's cache, let alone its memory.  50 files is a few grains of sand compared to the desert that would be 2 terabytes of data.

• User profile image
    odujosh

JChung2006 wrote:

odujosh wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

odujosh wrote:

50 source code files wouldn't even tax a good processor's cache, let alone its memory.  50 files is a few grains of sand compared to the desert that would be 2 terabytes of data.

Try opening 30 IE windows and call me in the morning. Never underestimate the cost of background tasks.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.