Tech Off Thread

13 posts

Downgrade from Vista Media Edition to XP media edition

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • Markiemark

To all!

Is their a fairly painless way to downgrade from Vista Media Edition to XP media edition?
    We have a conference room (2) that we need to downgrade due to programs not compatiable with Vista and need to have XP Media edition instead.
    Has anyone posted the steps?

Thanks!!

Mark
    Mercy Regional Medical Center

• ZippyV

Put in the Win xp cd, boot the computer then start the installation process and format your drives.

• evildictait​or

There isn't a way of doing this without purchasing a licence for XP Media Center edition.

Which programs of yours, by the way, are incompatable with Windows Vista? We've been using Vista Media in the conference room and some people across the hall from my office still have XP, and they've had no problems with it.

Anyways, if you are in a big big corporation you might want to consider phoning tech support at said big big corporation, or alternatively phoning Microsoft support.

• Markiemark

We have several Medical software programs that run in 16 bit Dos and just will not run in Vista - some of the programs have to be FDA certified which is a lenghty process and they do not have any intentions of changing to Vista. 
    We just received these PC's and really want to downgrade as we cannot show any Doctors presentations using the medical programs.

Mark 

• ZippyV

If you still have DOS lying around you could download Virtual PC 2007 for free, install dos and then run those applications in a virtual machine.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

• PeterF

Looks like someone didn't look too far into the future and didn't bother to invest... but then again, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. But it's still a lazy attitude if you know support for something will end one day.

I concur with ZippyV, VirtualPC or VMWare Player allows you to easily support these legacy applications.

• W3bbo

Markiemark wrote:
    To all!

Is their a fairly painless way to downgrade from Vista Media Edition to XP media edition?
    We have a conference room (2) that we need to downgrade due to programs not compatiable with Vista and need to have XP Media edition instead.
    Has anyone posted the steps?

Thanks!!

Mark
    Mercy Regional Medical Center

There's no such thing as "Vista Media Edition". Both Vista Home Premium and Ultimate have the Media Center program.

Secondly, if this is in a corp. scenario, wouldn'y you want Professional since you can join it to a domain fairly painlessly? (yes, I know you can join an MCE2005 box, I've done it myself, but it's a hassle).

• figuerres

Markiemark wrote:
    We have several Medical software programs that run in 16 bit Dos and just will not run in Vista - some of the programs have to be FDA certified which is a lenghty process and they do not have any intentions of changing to Vista. 
    We just received these PC's and really want to downgrade as we cannot show any Doctors presentations using the medical programs.

Mark 

well FWIW: 

1)  why did you not order Vista Business Ed? -- it's a business and your going to need networking / join domain etc... arn't you?

that aside:

DOS app ?  use VPC to run DOS and install the app in the VPC.

then you can run it in a window or full screen.

• DuNuNuBatman

Vista Business Ed doesn't have Media Center. You'd have to upgrade to Vista Ultimate to get that.

• Markiemark

Unfortunately the Education Department ordered the equipment without consulting the IT dept. So we had no say so in this product.
    With a vast unknown number of users accessing this system, XP is more familiar to them and We just want to use XP Media at this time.  Being since it has been such a short time that we have had the PC's, we are going to contact the vendor and distributor and see if they can assist with the downgrade.

Thanks to all who responded with Terrific ideas and we will look at the virtual PC idea.

Thanks!

Mark

• evildictait​or

Markiemark wrote:

Mark 

I was unaware that 16 bit DOS programs would work under XP either.

For such things, you should get hold of Virtual PC 2007 (It's free) and put Windows inside that. If they are 16 bit DOS programs, they won't mind the slight overhead of emulation.

Markiemark wrote:

Unfortunately the Education Department ordered the equipment without consulting the IT dept. So we had no say so in this product.
    With a vast unknown number of users accessing this system, XP is more familiar to them and We just want to use XP Media at this time.  Being since it has been such a short time that we have had the PC's, we are going to contact the vendor and distributor and see if they can assist with the downgrade.

Firstly, they suck, but secondly, familiarity with the operating system is massively overrated. People learn quicker than you'd think when given a task to do, and bear in mind that 99% of programs that people use do not change in anything except appearance when they move from Operating System to Operating System (assuming they work at all), so familiarity with the OS should not be confused with familiarity of the program itself.

• phreaks

Why in the world do you need *any* media center edition ® tm to show presentations on a projector?

I have the feeling that I must be missing something here.

• figuerres

phreaks wrote:
    Why in the world do you need *any* media center edition ® tm to show presentations on a projector?

I have the feeling that I must be missing something here.

just a guess but they may be using MCE to play dvd's or show photos ... "Presentation" in the general form, not just a PowerPoint thing...  I can picture MCE with a big screen looking very nice in a training / conf room Big Smile

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.