Tech Off Thread

5 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Security

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    akopacsi

I think there are some guys on Channel9 forums who know much more about IT security than me, so I would like to ask a few questions here.

I have a Windows XP Home Edition computer with SP2. The Windows firewall is active and I even set it to block exceptions. I have installed a NOD32 antivirus software and Spyware Doctor from Google Pack. I run full scans with them regualry, plus sometimes I scan the system with Nessus and Microsoft Security Baseline Analyzer.
    As you can see, my system is quite well covered... BUT:
    I use IE7 and OutLook Express and (according to Secunia) they both have unpatched security holes.
    My question is: is it safe to use them? Or using them makes all my security precaution useless and my system can be corrupted by some malicious code?

• User profile image
    joem83

Do you have all the latest update

• User profile image
    longnight

You can run the test featured at this link to see in you are vulnerable:  http://secunia.com/internet_explorer_7_popup_address_bar_spoofing_test/

Generally I would say, never trust a popup window, and always be on the look out for spoofing.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

The Secunia reports sometimes have recommendations for how to use "at risk" applications without putting yourself at risk, e.g., disabling JavaScript and ActiveX controls in IE, turning off the MHTML handler, etc.

• User profile image
    picohat

IE7 and Outlook Express are quite safe if you update the Windows OS with latest patches from time to time. This is important as Windows OS is very popular OS and there are many new security holes discovered from time to time.

Also don't forget to update the signature file on antivirus and anti-spyware softwares and scan you computer from time to time.

Here are more links to help you:

Securing Your Web Browser from CERT

Adjust your Outlook Express Security Settings

Hope helps..

Big Smile
    picoHat
    Home Network, Wireless Network and Computer Networking Made Easy

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.