Tech Off Thread

9 posts

VS2008 Install under bootcamp

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • Ian

I am running VISTA on a MacBookPro under the Leopard Bootcamp  (I know)  and getting a wierd message when I try and install VS2008:

"Setup has detected that this computer does not meet the requirements ....

Then under "software and requirement prerequisites":

Windows XP service Pack 2 Update Information

You must install this service pack to complete installation ....

Is anyone at MS aware of this issue? is there a workaround under VISTA? What setting is the setup checking that it is returning XP?(Needless to say that I don't want to try and install XP SP2 under VISTA!)

• AndyC

Have you got SP1 RC1 installed on Vista, by any chance?

• Ian

AndyC wrote:
    Have you got SP1 RC1 installed on Vista, by any chance?

No just plain old VISTA Ultimate (with all the relevant windows updates applied)

• AndyC

Try right-clicking setup.exe and see if Vista has somehow managed to turn on any of the compatability options. It certainly should work without doing anything as I installed it on Vista the other day!

• Ian

AndyC wrote:
    Try right-clicking setup.exe and see if Vista has somehow managed to turn on any of the compatability options. It certainly should work without doing anything as I installed it on Vista the other day!

I'll try that next.  I have 4GB so I am just giving it a go under OSX using Parallels (using the same VISTA boot partition)

OK Results are the same:

* Under Paralells I got the same error
    * Checked the properties of setup.exe and the compatibility options are grayed out (ie no selection has been made).

I am running from an ISO downloaded from MSDN.  Next step I will burn to a DVD and try again ( though I expect that this is some sort of a BootCamp issue?)

Great suggestions, keep em coming!

• darklotus

Not that this will fix your issues under mac but...

I am willing to bet, if you run vista on a machine that vista was intended to run on, you wouldnt get these issues.

• nlinus

darklotus wrote:
    I am willing to bet, if you run vista on a machine that vista was intended to run on, you wouldnt get these issues.

I had the same issue with my Dell XPS.

Here's the fix I found: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/05/08/2491743.aspx

• Ian

Thanks, that sorted it!

• odujosh

darklotus wrote:
    Not that this will fix your issues under mac but...

Yea I think this answer is unqualified. How is an Intel clone different from an Intel clone even if it is subcontracted by Apple (apple doesnt actually 'make' anything after all:). Boot Loaders isn't a form of virtualization. (one OS running in another) Just one OS passes control to the other when asked at startup.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.