Tech Off Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

VS2008 Install under bootcamp

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Ian

    I am running VISTA on a MacBookPro under the Leopard Bootcamp  (I know)  and getting a wierd message when I try and install VS2008:

    "Setup has detected that this computer does not meet the requirements ....

    Then under "software and requirement prerequisites":

    Windows XP service Pack 2 Update Information

    You must install this service pack to complete installation ....

    Is anyone at MS aware of this issue? is there a workaround under VISTA? What setting is the setup checking that it is returning XP?(Needless to say that I don't want to try and install XP SP2 under VISTA!)

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    Have you got SP1 RC1 installed on Vista, by any chance?

  • User profile image
    Ian

    AndyC wrote:
    Have you got SP1 RC1 installed on Vista, by any chance?


    No just plain old VISTA Ultimate (with all the relevant windows updates applied)

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    Try right-clicking setup.exe and see if Vista has somehow managed to turn on any of the compatability options. It certainly should work without doing anything as I installed it on Vista the other day!

  • User profile image
    Ian

    AndyC wrote:
    Try right-clicking setup.exe and see if Vista has somehow managed to turn on any of the compatability options. It certainly should work without doing anything as I installed it on Vista the other day!


    I'll try that next.  I have 4GB so I am just giving it a go under OSX using Parallels (using the same VISTA boot partition)

    OK Results are the same:

    * Under Paralells I got the same error
    * Checked the properties of setup.exe and the compatibility options are grayed out (ie no selection has been made).

    I am running from an ISO downloaded from MSDN.  Next step I will burn to a DVD and try again ( though I expect that this is some sort of a BootCamp issue?)


    Great suggestions, keep em coming!

  • User profile image
    darklotus

    Not that this will fix your issues under mac but...

    I am willing to bet, if you run vista on a machine that vista was intended to run on, you wouldnt get these issues.

  • User profile image
    nlinus

    darklotus wrote:
    I am willing to bet, if you run vista on a machine that vista was intended to run on, you wouldnt get these issues.


    I had the same issue with my Dell XPS.

    Here's the fix I found: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/05/08/2491743.aspx

  • User profile image
    Ian

    Thanks, that sorted it!

  • User profile image
    odujosh

    darklotus wrote:
    Not that this will fix your issues under mac but...

    I am willing to bet, if you run vista on a machine that vista was intended to run on, you wouldnt get these issues.



    Yea I think this answer is unqualified. How is an Intel clone different from an Intel clone even if it is subcontracted by Apple (apple doesnt actually 'make' anything after all:). Boot Loaders isn't a form of virtualization. (one OS running in another) Just one OS passes control to the other when asked at startup.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.