Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Media downloads failing after XP's SP2

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    phunky_avoc​ado

I have noticed that after installing XP's SP2, some video downloading (e.g., videos like the ones found on C9) via IE stops part way through and does not complete no matter what I do.  I know it is not a firewall issues as the problem remains when the firewall is turned off.

Has anyone else had this problem and, more to the point, does anyone know what I need to do to resolve the issue?

Everyone is telling me to use FireFox but I don't want to abandon IE just yet.

Thanks.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Your browser shouldn't matter as the streaming is handled by the plugin.
    Maybe you have multiple firewalls (say, a software firewall and a hardware firewall?)

• User profile image
    phunky_avoc​ado

Maurits wrote:
    Your browser shouldn't matter as the streaming is handled by the plugin.
    Maybe you have multiple firewalls (say, a software firewall and a hardware firewall?)

There is the built-in Windows firewall (which I always have turned off) and ZoneAlarm (which I turned off to see if the firewall is acting up).

This only happened after installing SP2.  I am fairly sure of that.

Any other ideas would be warmly received.  Thanks.

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

Browser cache bug. Empty your cache, try again.

IE's cache is pretty buggy. Actually, the same cache (Temporary Internet Files) is used by any program that uses WinInet.dll for its HTTP and FTP processing, and which chooses to use the cache features. So these bugs affect Internet Explorer, Outlook and Outlook Express (when fetching additional material such as web bugs in HTML email), Windows Media Player, etc.

Other symptoms are missing images, missing stylesheets, failure to View Source, downloading a file and then finding its contents are missing.

• User profile image
    phunky_avoc​ado

I quite recently cleared the cache because of the View Source problem.  So I doubt the cache is the problem.  Oh well.

Mike Dimmick wrote:
    Browser cache bug. Empty your cache, try again.

IE's cache is pretty buggy. Actually, the same cache (Temporary Internet Files) is used by any program that uses WinInet.dll for its HTTP and FTP processing, and which chooses to use the cache features. So these bugs affect Internet Explorer, Outlook and Outlook Express (when fetching additional material such as web bugs in HTML email), Windows Media Player, etc.

Other symptoms are missing images, missing stylesheets, failure to View Source, downloading a file and then finding its contents are missing.

• User profile image
    Maurits

I'm inclined to believe it's a Windows Media Player issue.   Try opening the stream from media player rather than from the browser.  Use the RSS feed to get the direct links to the movie file.

Reinstalling/upgrading Windows Media Player might fix it.

• User profile image
    sharples

I recently installed sp2 on my xp machine at home and ran into a variety of issues after the update was complete.  Namely problems with a few applications that needed a constant pipe to the web and I also had problems with OpenMg which is a media transform tool used with Sony minidisks.
    After verifying my office system was stable with the mentioned programs and sp2, I noticed my home machine had very little disk drive space remaining on the windows xp partition.(approx 75mb).
    It seems that sp2 will automatically install onto the native xp partition which inturn could cause a whole host of problems if for example you have xp living on a partition with less than 1gb free space.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.