Tech Off Thread

15 posts

I need coding to compare images in database....

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    sasil

If i have huge image data stored in an SQL Server database then i want to search similar image by matchng an image given by my customer. plz some expert help me to do this with VB6. like fingerprint matching/Comparing .....

• User profile image
    stevo_

Hilarious..

Why not spit it out and ask someone to do the entire solution?

• User profile image
    littleguru

So you want to compare them 1 by 1 - or you want to match only certain parts of the image?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

littleguru wrote:
    So you want to compare them 1 by 1 - or you want to match only certain parts of the image?

He's looking for some kind of high-level abstract object recognition and comparison algorithm. Those sort of things require neural-networks and the like.

Anyone wanna bet he's a 13 yearold who knows a bit of VB after playing around with Dreamweaver then took-on an overly ambitious project on GetAFreelancer.com?

• User profile image
    littleguru

W3bbo wrote:
    Anyone wanna bet he's a 13 yearold who knows a bit of VB after playing around with Dreamweaver then took-on an overly ambitious project on GetAFreelancer.com?

From his question I don't understand if he wants only to compare blobs or check for stuff in the images... that's why I asked - his question doesn't make that 100% clear to me.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

It's not his first question. All his questions have been vague, like he just started programming.

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

Sasil ... these are your previous questions:
    how to upload images to database.. i need coding for it... need media player designing codings..

• User profile image
    Richard.Hein

littleguru wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

From his question I don't understand if he wants only to compare blobs or check for stuff in the images... that's why I asked - his question doesn't make that 100% clear to me.

This part makes elevates the difficulty from a binary comparison to extremely advanced AI programming, or stuff you'd find in PhotoSynth ... "like fingerprint matching/Comparing ..... ".

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Richard, he probably wants to know if they are exactly the same, not like the same.

• User profile image
    odujosh

A little too specialized for these board. Engage a consultant. Sounds like you don't have any baseline for developing such a solution. Proceeding would mean you think you have a reasonable chance of success. I'd rate your chances are those of a blind man at a dart tournament.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

odujosh wrote:
    I'd rate your chances are those of a blind man at a dart tournament.

It happens.

• User profile image
    odujosh

W3bbo wrote:

odujosh wrote:
    I'd rate your chances are those of a blind man at a dart tournament.

It happens.

Partially blind. I said blind. Aha got you Tongue Out But seriously understand your requirements before you sign the dotted line and commit to a schedule and features. Specially when you don't know the first thing about darts.

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

If I had to compare blobs frequently I'd generate a hash at INSERT and  UPDATE time, index the hash, and use that.

The "do these (different) images show the same thing" question is much harder.  I suppose one possibility is to use cheap labor to assign keywords to the images and do fuzzy text matching on the keywords.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Matthew van Eerde wrote:
    If I had to compare blobs frequently I'd generate a hash at INSERT and  UPDATE time, index the hash, and use that.

Doesn't work if it's the same image but with slightly different data. What about different JPEG quality levels or EXIF data?

You'd want to do a Guassian Blur of the image first, then limit the colour range, then hopefully minor differences in the images would be lost; then you hash it. There's a name for hash functions which return the same value for similar input, this would be a case of them.

Matthew van Eerde wrote:
    The "do these (different) images show the same thing" question is much harder.  I suppose one possibility is to use cheap labor to assign keywords to the images and do fuzzy text matching on the keywords.

Mechanical Turk's business model, "Crowdsourcing" doesn't make much financial sense (for either the service-provider nor the buyer). But there are a bunch of image recognition libraries out there (if expensibly priced).

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

W3bbo wrote:

You'd want to do a Guassian Blur of the image first, then limit the colour range, then hopefully minor differences in the images would be lost; then you hash it.

Nah. Gaussian Blurs are expensive. Just shrink the image with antialiasing and do a comparison - not only does shrinking the image reduce the artifacts in the image, it also gives you a smaller data chunk to do your comparison with - reducing your time overhead dramatically.

W3bbo wrote:

There's a name for hash functions which return the same value for similar input, this would be a case of them.

You want an image-equivilent of the word/audio-based soundex or something.

W3bbo wrote:

Mechanical Turk's business model, "Crowdsourcing" doesn't make much financial sense (for either the service-provider nor the buyer). But there are a bunch of image recognition libraries out there (if expensibly priced).

Crowdsoucing is expensive if you are paying them. An increasingly popular business model is passing these things to your end-users and tricking them into participating. The captcha-like thing for OCRing old books and Google's image-keyword "game" are good examples of this.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.