Tech Off Thread

8 posts

Excel 2003 - Can't Insert Picture Into Cell ?!?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    quantass

We're using Excel 2003. The columns are:

thumbnails, name, address. We're trying to insert a picture into the thumbnails cell. The picture is inserted however it acts as if it is "floating" over the cell and not actually apart of the cell row/column.

Is this a glitch within Excel? How do i actually insert a picture within a cell so that it is apart of the cell (ie. when i sort or filter, the picture remains assoicated with the cell). We do have Excel 2007 but havent installed.

Thanks

• User profile image
    modi123

Nope, you can't really insert an image into a cell like how you are asking.. what you can do is insert a hyperlink to that image's location... or baring that you can insert a comment into the cell.. go to the comment's format option.. in there go to 'colors and lines'.. under 'fill' go to 'fill effects'...click on the picture tab.. select your picture.. and off you go.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060905210759AAvgYqD

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

modi123 wrote:
    Nope, you can't really insert an image into a cell like how you are asking.. what you can do is insert a hyperlink to that image's location... or baring that you can insert a comment into the cell.. go to the comment's format option.. in there go to 'colors and lines'.. under 'fill' go to 'fill effects'...click on the picture tab.. select your picture.. and off you go.

I think that's an Office2007 feature, and thus would not be possible on Office 2003.

• User profile image
    SimonJ

No version of Excel allows you to insert a picture into a cell. Pictures are inserted into the worksheet and will always float.
    One of the properties of a picture can be set to "move and size with cells" but that only moves or stretches the picture when the underlying rows and columns are inserted, deleted or sized. It does not confine a picture to a cell.

You may be better off using Word rather than Excel where you can create a table and insert pictures into the cells of the table.

Simon Jones
    Contributing Editor
    PC Pro Magazine

• User profile image
    dumanjichot​mail.dot
  • User profile image
    lmz

I actually had luck in Excel 2007 by changing the Properties to "Move and size with cells."  I have been able to sort and filter the contents and the pictures remain in the correct row. 

• User profile image
    dumanjichot​mail.dot

lmz said:

I actually had luck in Excel 2007 by changing the Properties to "Move and size with cells."  I have been able to sort and filter the contents and the pictures remain in the correct row. 

Try it already on Excel 2010 Beta....nice

• User profile image
    Steve Hathaway

lmz said:

Thanks for the insight - I sometimes have need to paste a signature image into a spreadsheet cell

that requires a human signature.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.