Tech Off Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

ASP.NET and Multithreading

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    manojT

Hi There,

Situation :

One ASPX page, it has 3 iframes, each iframe source is a .aspx page, each of this .aspx page display some grids with data. So far So good...

Problem :

iFrame is a Asynchronous, still when this aspx page start loading, src   .aspx[contained within iframe], load one by one and each page take its own time, for exaple :
    iframe 1 : Top page takes 5 sec to load
    iframe 2 : Content Page 5 sec load
    iframe 3 : Bottom Page 5 sec load

Now what I want that is that can I reduce the time by loading all the pages at once Using some threading mechanism?

Thanks in Advance,
    MT

• User profile image
    stevo_

Well the hint here is that neither asp.net, iis or the browser should be causing any issues with these requests running in parallel..

You should probably look into the apps code to check if its crazy amounts of thread locked processing (such stateful objects will usually be found within the HttpApplicationInstance).

• User profile image
    littleguru

Please don't cross-post.

• User profile image
    brwalias

How about not using iframes in the first place?  Big Smile

• User profile image
    odujosh

Yep do not use IFrames. By using them you do not really understand ASP.NET. Its a defunct tag.

• User profile image
    OnErrorDo​This

I too was stuck in the iframe world.

I recommend :

It'll be hard but stop using iframes. Use <DIV> with IDs instead.

Get your data by XMLHttpRequest ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMLHttpRequest ) and fill your <DIV>(s) with data from the reuqeut via JavaScript for example with "innerHTML".

This way, you will be able to control everything and "fill" "at will".

If you need scrolling in your boxes, You can still do that without iframes, <DIV> tags are capable of having both H/V scrollbars.

• User profile image
    OnErrorDo​This

If you got no time and MUST solve this in a dirty way with iframes, you could for example hide them, wait with a timer and show them.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

odujosh wrote:
    Yep do not use IFrames. By using them you do not really understand ASP.NET. Its a defunct tag.

Not necessarily, there are legitimate uses for inline frame behaviour.

OnErrorDoThis wrote:

I recommend :

Get your data by XMLHttpRequest ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMLHttpRequest ) and fill your <DIV>(s) with data from the reuqeut via JavaScript for example with "innerHTML".

If you need scrolling in your boxes, You can still do that without iframes, <DIV> tags are capable of having both H/V scrollbars.

Learn CSS first Wink

a) the <div> element does not have an uppercase tagname
    b) any element can have scrolling behaviour
    c) your proposal breaks if client scripting is disabled, bad.

• User profile image
    stevo_

As w3bbo says, the 'div' tag isn't anything special.. its just a primative block level element designed to do by default block type layout control..

While you've made a good discovery from moving away from over abuse of iframes.. you've moved to another evil.. using ajax to populate divs.. if anything this is probably even worse than using iframes.. and you've not actually learnt the real reason to dump iframes..

Remember the server side is there partially to do composition for you, theres no reason you shouldn't be compositioning the page at the server, to pull in multiple resources..

From your recent posts you seem pretty new to programming and html so you'll be learning new things all the time, so don't go overly crazy about the latest thing you've learnt.. turns out it takes a long time before you've learnt enough to get a 'big picture'..

Stick at it though..

• User profile image
    OnErrorDo​This

W3bbo wrote:

odujosh wrote:

OnErrorDoThis wrote:

I recommend :

Learn CSS first Wink

I know CSS. I'm not here to teach him CSS, I uppercase the "<DIV>" to highlight it for him. Please stop this witch hunt or I'll leave TechOff as well.

• User profile image
    manojT

Hey Buddy,

Chill down, we are here to help each other, dont get angry....

Thanks,
    MT

• User profile image
    punkouter

stevo_ wrote:

Remember the server side is there partially to do composition for you, theres no reason you shouldn't be compositioning the page at the server, to pull in multiple resources..

From your recent posts you seem pretty new to programming and html so you'll be learning new things all the time, so don't go overly crazy about the latest thing you've learnt.. turns out it takes a long time before you've learnt enough to get a 'big picture'..

Stick at it though..

oh, that's so true. last month i was so mad at my SE. he made a design where data is retrieved via a webservice. its fine, really. however, how he wanted it to be done is for the client to use XmlHttpRequest and contact the webservice provider which will return an XML data. this XML data will then trigger a series of javascript that will internally build a table and formats the data according to a specific design. so, he wanted me to parse the data and create <table> <tr> <td> tags on the fly on the client browser plus a drop down box that when selected will filters the data that will be shown.

well yes, in some cases it might be justifiable, but that must be an extremely rare case. and the situation that we're in was not enough to warrant that kind of stupidity. i dont really know what he's trying to do, but this is another case where i think composition should be done on the server.

• User profile image
    odujosh

W3bbo wrote:

odujosh wrote:

OnErrorDoThis wrote:

I recommend :

Learn CSS first Wink

Like not learning some real intersite interop technology like web services. Using Iframes is a hack.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.