Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Vista x64 Trial???

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    DuNuNuBatman

I just purchased parts for a new computer. I wanted to install Vista x64, but wanted to try it out first to be sure all my software worked. Where can I get a trial copy of Vista x64?

• User profile image
    stevo_

I'm assuming you have Vista 32bit and want to get the 64bit cd (which isn't always shipped (perhaps only with ultimate)), I believe there is a note in the box informing you of how to get the 64bit cd..

If this is OEM, I'm not sure if the license is transferable over the different bit versions..

• User profile image
    littleguru

It seems like there is no Vista Trial available. You can try it online but that won't help you much.

• User profile image
    DuNuNuBatman

Yea, I have the 32 bit version via the action pack. I think they should have shipped both if they want IT companies to start adopting 64 bit windows.
    Anyway, I just decided to download the ultimate cd image via torrent and use it without the key. Then I'll order the cd once I verify that my software works... I'm kind of stuck though if it doesn't. My computer has 8GB ram Big Smile

• User profile image
    stevo_

I thought the install disks were all generic? meaning you couldn't actually download the ultimate version, as the only thing that differentiates what you get is the classification of the license you use?

• User profile image
    DuNuNuBatman

It is unless you purchase the OEM cd's. The action pack only comes with 32 bit vista business though.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

stevo_ wrote:
    I thought the install disks were all generic? meaning you couldn't actually download the ultimate version, as the only thing that differentiates what you get is the classification of the license you use?

That's true, except that the x86 (32 bit) and x64 (64 bit) editions of Vista ship on two different disks due to size limitations.

I think if you have a genuine copy you can send it back and swap up or down to x64 or x86 respectively, but I might have heard wrong on that.

For companies I suspect the rules are different.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.