Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Cannot run, install or uninstall RealPlayer

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Doctor Who

I'm running Windows Vista 64-bit on an AMD 64-bit duo processor system.  I tried installing RealPlayer, the free version, onto my system, but that failed.  Now I cannot run it, uninstall it, or attempt to install a new version.  Whenever I try to call it I get the following error message:

This application has failed to start because MSVCP71.DLL was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I've been looking around for help on this and it has been suggested that this DLL is a part of VS 2003.  That may be the case, I did not install VS 2003 onto my system, as I just want to go with VS 2005 and VS 2008.  Anyway, what is the cause of this error and what can I do to remedy it?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Find that DLL for download off the Internet somewhere, copy and paste it to RealPlayer's or the Uninstaller's directory and see if it works then.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

It is strange that Microsoft doesn't have a download link for the 2003 version of the C++ runtime like they do for 2005 and 2008.  Do they really want people downloading unverified versions of this DLL to resolve issues like this?

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

Yeah, this has been going on so long, that there's got be some kind of political reason behind this, rather than some lame excuse about MSI compatibility issues - only providing merge modules, etc.

Look at [this post]. Brian Burns is suggesting people go to [dll-files.com].

• User profile image
    AndyC

RichardRudek wrote:
    Yeah, this has been going on so long, that there's got be some kind of political reason behind this, rather than some lame excuse about MSI compatibility issues - only providing merge modules, etc.

I believe it's because if it only gets installed as part of an application, it'll be properly dependency tracked and thus removed when it's no longer necessary. The fact that Realplayer attempts to install without including all the required libraries is a shining example of how utterly poorly developed it is.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

I don't think it's RealPlayer so much as its installer software.  Then again, I seem to recall their installer being some sort of custom job so maybe it is their fault after all.

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

AndyC wrote:

RichardRudek wrote:

I believe it's because if it only gets installed as part of an application, it'll be properly dependency tracked and thus removed when it's no longer necessary. The fact that Realplayer attempts to install without including all the required libraries is a shining example of how utterly poorly developed it is.

I agree to a certain extent.

But the point is, that as far as I'm aware, the [reference counting] is not infallible. So in the case of required files being removed when still required (the opposite of the link), what are Microsoft suggesting you do ?  Where is their download link to the file(s), or more properly, the redistributable ?

I'm willing to accept that there may be some issues with getting things right with the SxS, Reference counting, etc. But the excuses I've found so far in relation to this are lame - in sufficient detail for me to accept at face value.

Anybody know of anything authorative - not real player, but the VC runtimes for 2002 and 2003 not being available as a separate redistributable, like for 2005 ?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.