Tech Off Thread

21 posts

Cheap ASP.NET Hosting

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Verdant

I was just wondering if anyone can offer suggestions for cheap ASP.NET (/w 3.5, esp AJAX) webhosts?

I just want a personal space for my portfolio and blog.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Oh! Oh! Me me!

I'm currently revising my prices, but I'm thinking on settling on:

Plan Name Monthly Bandwidth Users Databases (MySQL or MSSQL)
    Price per month (USD) Payable 6 month cost
    Troposphere 7GB 2   $2.00 $12.00
    Stratosphere 20GB 3   $4.00 $24.00
    Mesophere 40GB 7 1 $7.00 $42.00
    Thermosphere 100GB
    $17.00 $102.00
    Exosphere 250GB 40
    $40.00 $240.00

All come with .NET 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 support. PHP (under FastCGI), and Hosted Exchange (optional $40 set-up fee for that). Unlimited space.

Located in a data-center with phat pipes (OC-48) and I don't oversell bandwidth (not yet, at least).

A User is a combined FTP/WebDAV account, Mailbox, and NTFS permissions line.

So yeah...

• User profile image
    Verdant

W3bbo wrote:
    Oh! Oh! Me me!

I'm currently revising my prices, but I'm thinking on settling on:...

iis version?
    uptime info?
    link to homepage?

• User profile image
    littleguru

http://www.discountasp.net/ - they seem to be quite decent and afaik sven is using them for his own website... Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Verdant wrote:

Generic Forum Image W3bbo wrote:
    Oh! Oh! Me me!

I'm currently revising my prices, but I'm thinking on settling on:...

iis version?

6.0, systems patched regularly.

Verdant wrote:
    uptime info?

99.99%, whilst I'd like to be able to 5-nines, it's impossible since you often need to reboot a server when patching. In reality it's something like 99.995%, but I certainly guarantee 99.9% in a year (or all your money back). If there goes more than 3 hours in a month (than is necessary for patching) where your site's down you get a free month, more than 12 hours you get 3 free months. A day and you get 6 free months.

Verdant wrote:
    link to homepage?

It's a work in progress. The pricing table on Shared.aspx is out of date. I don't advertise it except when people come on to C9 to ask about it. Never hurts to have more customers.

Oh, and there's an affiliate scheme too. 20% back for each referral.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Verdant wrote:
    I was just wondering if anyone can offer suggestions for cheap ASP.NET (/w 3.5, esp AJAX) webhosts?

Such was the case with me.  Now I run my sites from my own physical server at home on a dedicated cable connection. When I install my new routers tonight, the sites will even stop going offline at random Smiley

Monthly bandwidth: Unlimited
    Storage Limits: 4.5TB capacity, infinitely expandable
    Users: Infinite
    Databases: Limited only by SQL License
    Monthly price: None

The only downfall is the setup expenses. I justify them by telling myself I was setting up a server anyway and this is "just a series of projects". 

- I install whatever server patches, CTPs, and other technologies I see fit. 
     - Direct console access
     -- Direct manipulation of OS, IIS, SQL, etc
     -- Ability to connect to /dev folders directly from VS; can see effects in browser in realtime
     - No need to host images or other shareables on ImageShack/flickr/etc
     - Direct RDP access from anywhere
     - IIS configuration at my own discretion
     - Not sharing a server with 70 other websites (Only 4, all my own)
     - CPU usually <3%, small spikes on hits

Edit:
    Oh, and also, when you go to connect directly to a subdomain from Remote Desktop, games, etc; the people around you go "oooh!".

• User profile image
    W3bbo

SlackmasterK wrote:
    Edit:
    Oh, and also, when you go to connect directly to a subdomain from Remote Desktop, games, etc; the people around you go "oooh!".

Microsoft Licensing would disagree Wink

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

W3bbo wrote:

SlackmasterK wrote:
    Edit:

Microsoft Licensing prohibits forwarding an RDP port on the router and changing the default listening port for it?  Or do they prohibit having a domain resolve to my IP?  That would seem like more of an ISP issue...

And by "Games", obviously I'm referring to game servers, if and when I decide to run one.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

SlackmasterK wrote:

W3bbo wrote:

SlackmasterK wrote:
    Edit:

Microsoft Licensing prohibits forwarding an RDP port on the router and changing the default listening port for it?  Or do they prohibit having a domain resolve to my IP?  That would seem like more of an ISP issue...

And by "Games", obviously I'm referring to game servers, if and when I decide to run one.

A user accessing a desktop via RDP must have both a Windows Server CAL and a TS CAL. Except when the built-in Terminal server is in Administration mode where neither are required, but you're limited to 2 TS sessions.

This folks, is why Linux is waaaay cheaper for remote desktop situations.

• User profile image
    Verdant

well if i wasn't restricted to a 1 mbps cable line...

• User profile image
    Verdant

thread bookmarked - will check back when i have more time,

W3bbo , yours seems to be a good option, though i am a bit leery of not having the control panel

• User profile image
    m1keread

I use these fellas ASPNIX

http://aspnix.com/

Good control Panel (Helm).  Cheap ($77 for 12 months).  ASP.NET 3.5, Silverlight, no Bandwidth throttling, SQL Server 2005 databases.

They had a few reliability issues a few months ago and I am unsure if they have a very good reputiation generally.  But they have served my needs, are cheap and support is pretty good to.  You can also access SQL databases via SQL Manager (Dont know if you can do this on other hosting providers, I have heard some dont).

Mike

• User profile image
    RBSplat

Quick couple of questions:

Could you provide additional information on the Hosted Exchange?

Also, what applications do you have available for install; (DotNetNuke, BlogEngine.net and etc)

What is the time frame for Control Panel availability?

Thanks

Marc

• User profile image
    RBSplat

Sorry forgot the quote......

W3bbo wrote:
    Oh! Oh! Me me!

All come with .NET 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 support. PHP (under FastCGI), and Hosted Exchange (optional $40 set-up fee for that). Unlimited space.

Also, what applications do you have available for install; (DotNetNuke, BlogEngine.net and etc)

• User profile image
    W3bbo

RBSplat wrote:
    Sorry forgot the quote......

W3bbo wrote:
    Oh! Oh! Me me!

The $40 is for the procurement of an Exchange CAL. Alternativly you can skip it in exchange for a slightly higher monthly rate for 6 months.

RBSplat wrote:

Anything on-request. But modern applications are designed to be end-user installable (i.e. alter the web.config file locally, upload via FTP or WebDAV and you're set). That said, I have helped set up WordPress installations for customers.

RBSplat wrote:

Most likely within 3 months if everything goes according to plan, so hopefully before May if I can help it. I'll be unavailable for any development work in May through June due to my examination scheduling. If I don't get it done by mid-May, it will definately be before the beginning of September.

Yes, long time-frames, but I don't apologise for ensuring quality. "It'll be done when it's done".

....but practically any change to your service can be arranged instantly via email or IM.

Oh, and to add to the information on the Shared.aspx page, SQL Server Management Studio access is now available.

• User profile image
    RBSplat

W3bbo wrote:

RBSplat wrote:

The $40 is for the procurement of an Exchange CAL. Alternativly you can skip it in exchange for a slightly higher monthly rate for 6 months.

A CAL is normally per connection.  If the Mesophere plan is purchased is that $40. for all 7 users or $40. per user?

What version of Exchange is being used and how are connections made?  Is RPC over HTTP available or is only OWA, POP and IMAP?

If interested how do we signup?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

RBSplat wrote:
    A CAL is normally per connection.  If the Mesophere plan is purchased is that $40. for all 7 users or $40. per user?

Most of my clients so far have been one or two users, and rarely would each user connect at the same time.

Since this isn't a Super Serious Business-type operation, I buy stuff like CALs (my supplier gets me them at a reduced rate) on a "as and when we need them" basis.

I think if you're prepared to pay $80 over 6 months in addition to the hosting fees that should cover CALs for all 7 clients (since CALs purchased by other clients aren't likely to be in use, so it all averages out).

And there's an affiliate scheme, so if you're good at making recommendations you can easily get your money back, plus a profit.

RBSplat wrote:
    What version of Exchange is being used and how are connections made?  Is RPC over HTTP available or is only OWA, POP and IMAP?

Exchange 2003, and all protocols are enabled, including HTTP/RPC.

RBSplat wrote:
    If interested how do we signup?

Until I finish procrastinating over finishing writing the main site and the control panel you'll have to drop me an email, click the "Email me" button to the left of this thread.

Note that you'll need your domain name before signing up and isn't included in my fees, as stated on the Shared.aspx page.

So yeah... if you're interested, by all means give me a go Smiley Refunds for unused months available too.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

SlackmasterK wrote:

Verdant wrote:

Such was the case with me.  Now I run my sites from my own physical server at home on a dedicated cable connection. When I install my new routers tonight, the sites will even stop going offline at random Smiley

Monthly bandwidth: Unlimited
    Storage Limits: 4.5TB capacity, infinitely expandable
    Users: Infinite
    Databases: Limited only by SQL License
    Monthly price: None

The only downfall is the setup expenses. I justify them by telling myself I was setting up a server anyway and this is "just a series of projects". 

- I install whatever server patches, CTPs, and other technologies I see fit. 
     - Direct console access
     -- Direct manipulation of OS, IIS, SQL, etc
     -- Ability to connect to /dev folders directly from VS; can see effects in browser in realtime
     - No need to host images or other shareables on ImageShack/flickr/etc
     - Direct RDP access from anywhere
     - IIS configuration at my own discretion
     - Not sharing a server with 70 other websites (Only 4, all my own)
     - CPU usually <3%, small spikes on hits

Edit:

How are you connecting to the internet, though?  Most US residential internet connections have really low upload rates, which would be problematic on a webserver.  Plus, most frown upon or even specifically prohibit running servers in their terms of use.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.