Tech Off Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

.DLL MixUp

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Unknown​Programmer

Hi, this might not be the right place to post this question,One of my mates for a joke decided to mix some of my .dll files and rename them. Well I managed to fix most of them but there is this one program it is looking for a certain .dll file. I dont want to install everything again. I know it is somewhere on the windows directory renamed as something else. Basically disguised as a different .dll

I was wondering is there a program that can find the .dll file even if it is disguised or is there a way to find this specific file, maybe do a name search in all the .dll files or string search?

Anything you suggest?

• User profile image
    Minh

I think you're screwed. File name is a main attribute of how a DLL is loaded. I think all you can do now is to reinstall & think of ways of getting back at your friend. FORMAT C: /q

• User profile image
    Unknown​Programmer

But if say if i Knew the .dll file PublicTokenKey and Guid some details is there a way then to find the .dll

• User profile image
    jkirwan

Try this: In Windows Explorer, switch to the Details view. Then select View->Choose Details... from the menu. Select the "Product Name" checkbox and hit OK. You should now see the true product name of all files regardless of their filename.

• User profile image
    Unknown​Programmer

I dont have that option only details view then that stuff after i cant find, i dont think ti will work anyway as it sounds to simple!

• User profile image
    Manip

Just reinstall SP2 over the top a few times .. Solve all other problems as you find them (as things crash, fix that DLL).

There is no real solution to this problem because it is so rare and silly nobody has given it any thought.

How did your friend do that anyway? Code?

• User profile image
    Unknown​Programmer

No man there is no need to reinstall sp1 as it is not windows problem but a program oh well i have to find the disc and reinstall it but i guess its the only way, my slow pc damn it.

I let him on my PC and i left the room, after like he left i found out some programs not working i called him and he said blah blah blah that he changed some settings to piss me of. I dont know why he did it iam planning to get him back.

• User profile image
    Rossj

UnknownProgrammer wrote:
    But if say if i Knew the .dll file PublicTokenKey and Guid some details is there a way then to find the .dll

Do you mean you know what some of the symbols might be in the missing DLL? If you have VC++ you could use dumpbin to have a look ?

• User profile image
    Unknown​Programmer

You mean this tool is like dependency walker. I have the program but dont know how to use it, not familiar with dos.cmd tools instead GUI ones. I also have PeExplorer.

• User profile image
    Rossj

UnknownProgrammer wrote:
    You mean this tool is like dependency walker. I have the program but dont know how to use it, not familiar with dos.cmd tools instead GUI ones. I also have PeExplorer.

I think PeExplorer should let you view the exported symbols in your .dlls.
    It does sounds a lot like your system is hosed,  I hope your friend is suitably sorry Smiley

• User profile image
    Jazzynupe

There is a way to get the original name in a DLL (at least in Windows XP I saw the entry for it) I don't think it gets renamed when you change the name of the application.

You might be able to use this attribute. the attribute is called "Internal Name" or "Original File Name"

If you have a tool that can search these attributes, you might be able to find the right DLL.

I don't know of one off hand though...

• User profile image
    Sk4rlath

I do believe the thing you're looking for (Internal Name or Original Filename) is in the version resource. There is a program that can view it that is widely available: Explorer. Just open the property pages for the file (select and press Alt+Enter or right-click and choose Properties) and go to the Version tab.

• User profile image
    Unknown​Programmer

OMG you are right how stupid I was, didnt think of something that simple i think one of the guys was sayin that but i didnt understand him. Thanks alot ppl.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

If these are Windows system DLLs and you are running either Windows 2000 or XP, just run the following:
    sfc /scannow

It will check if all the protected DLLs are the correct versions and if not replace them.

EDIT: And you shouldn't let your mate have Administrator access to your PC anymore. Wink

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.