Tech Off Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Good factory implementation ? (C++)

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    cro

I'm trying to implement a factory method in our application. Do you thing that this kind of implementation is a good one ?

class Person
    {
    public:
       Person(PersonData personData);

private:

int m_identifier;
       std::string m_name;
    };

class Employee : public Person
    {
    public:
       Employee(PersonData personData);

private:

float m_hourlyWage;
    };

class Boss : public Person
    {
    public:
       Boss(PersonData personData);

private:
       float m_annualSalary;

float m_bonus;
    };

struct PersonData
    {
       int type;

int identifier;
       std::string name;
       float hourlyWage;
       float annualSalary;
       float bonus;
    };

class Factory
    {
    public:

static Person* CreatePerson(PersonData personData);
    };

Person* Factory::CreatePerson(PersonData personData)
    {
       switch (personData.type)
       {
          case PersonType_Employee: 
             return new Employee(personData);
             break;

case PersonType_Boss: 
             return new Boss(personData);
             break;

default:
             throw std::invalid_argument("...");
             break;
       }
    }

• User profile image
    Massif

Well, you've created classes which can be instantiated on their own, so no-one needs to go through the factory. (I always take the "don't let them break the rules, even if they should know better" option.)

So hiding the constructor and making the factory a friend class (or analogous, my C++ is getting rusty) would force people to use the factory to generate instances.

I may even have been tempted to have a static "CreateInstance" method on the person classes which invokes the factory behind the scenes to create the object. But then it kinda depends on what you're using the Factory for as to whether that would be even half a sensible idea.

• User profile image
    cro

The goal is to have a method that read the data from a DB or file that look like this :

std::vector<Person*> ReadStreamFromFile()
    {

PersonData personData;

while ( ReadNext(personData) )
       {
          Person* person = Factory::CreatePerson(personData);
          persons.push_back(person);
       }

return persons;
    }

• User profile image
    Massif

What you've got works in that case. I usually see factories used as a means to enforce certain policies on the numbers / types of objects created, so allowing people to create objects outside the factory is a bad thing in those cases. In your case it probably wouldn't matter.

Having a factory class which just houses a single static method seems OTT, but the alternative (putting the static method in the Person class) offends my sense that inheritance ought to be one-way, and that parents shouldn't know about what their children are up to. (This also applies to real life.)

• User profile image
    cro

Massif wrote:
    Having a factory class which just houses a single static method seems OTT

In C# and Java I think that everything must be in a class, so what would you do in those language ?

In our case the factory class will contain more than one create method.

To be sure that nobody use the factory method, the constructor will be private, but is there a better way ?

• User profile image
    stevo_

private or internal ctors in .NET don't really offer any 'protection' as such, only an obsfucation..

In which case its seen that a factory is construction and initialization of a type.. imagine having an interface where you didn't want a ctor to do the 'same' thing on each class and equally the type of ctor you wanted wasn't tied 1 : 1 with that interface (ie, you would need another set of ctors to handle another type of usage)..

The factory then lets you abstract this initialization away which can help with versioning problems etc etc..

At least; thats how I've seen a factory anyway..

Edit: Factorys also lend the ability to generate 'creation' caching stategy as well (such as being able to skip creation of if its legal that you can return a previously created one (based on your heuristics) which can be held internally to the factory)

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

stevo_ wrote:

private or internal ctors in .NET don't really offer any 'protection' as such, only an obsfucation..

If you're going to use nasty hackaroos to get around the language protection you deserve everything you get when things turn nasty. If a constructor is private or internal it is to all intensive purposes safe.

• User profile image
    stevo_

I agree, but it does mean you shouldn't take for granted the ctor won't be called.. in most cases you'll probably just cause an exception, but its up to you as the implementor of the system to ensure you don't cause data corruption..

It's also very easy for someone to call any ctor they wish using a single param overload on the activator.. in some cases; systems designed for generic activation of classes could be calling into private or internal ctors.. (serializers come to mind).

• User profile image
    vesuvius

stevo_ wrote:
    I agree, but it does mean you shouldn't take for granted the ctor won't be called.. in most cases you'll probably just cause an exception, but its up to you as the implementor of the system to ensure you don't cause data corruption..

It's also very easy for someone to call any ctor they wish using a single param overload on the activator.. in some cases; systems designed for generic activation of classes could be calling into private or internal ctors.. (serializers come to mind).

You can take for granted whether or not the ctor is called using the singleton pattern. Here there can only ever be one instance of that class and you can prohibit access to the ctor as only a static method allowing access is available.

• User profile image
    stevo_

Yes I'm aware of what a singleton is Tongue Out however, being a singleton doesn't nec~ mean you cannot be created twice in .NET, although it does allow you to design your ctor to throw exceptions based upon static 'initialized' flags..

However, you may not always want your classes to be singletons.. so picking a singleton pattern to satisfy creation 'policing' isn't a logical action.

• User profile image
    nightski

The point of the factory pattern is not to restrict access to creating the objects without the factory.  It is simply to allow the creation of objects without specifying the class of the object you want to create.

The implementation you provided was just fine.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.