Tech Off Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Some people don't like TFS

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    tgraupmann

Now I've had a few issues with TFS.

1) My TFS client cache gets corrupted often.

2) The GUI tools are buggy.

3) The TFS client is buggy.

4) I get an object reference not found dialog after a successful checkin.

5) Supposedly there's a service pack out there fixing various issues, but heck if I know where it is.

6) I haven't seen a TFS version update for a long time.

Apparently there's a guy out there that hates TFS so much that he registered a domain for it.
    http://www.teamfrustrationserver.com/

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Which version of TFS are you using?  There is a Service Pack 1 for Visual Studio Team System 2005 here.

• User profile image
    numedia

I've been using TFS for several years now and it's working like a champ. Granted, the initial release was rough around the edges, but after the first service pack it's been great. The 2008 release offers some great enhancements around working on and off line, which was always sketchy in the 2005 release.

• User profile image
    justncase80

It's funny how they have only 2 forum posts and none even talk about actual bugs. By those metrics TFS must be incredibly non-frustrating. I'm using VSS right now now THATS a piece of junk.

This sounds more like a case of a guy who is just used to using CVS and is just frustrated to have to learn something new. Sounds like a stuffy old 95er.

• User profile image
    tgraupmann

We've been using VS 2005 with TFS Explorer, which has been extremely buggy. We've recently upgraded to VS 2008, which TFS client is the best?

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

justncase80 wrote:
    It's funny how they have only 2 forum posts and none even talk about actual bugs. By those metrics TFS must be incredibly non-frustrating. I'm using VSS right now now THATS a piece of junk.

This sounds more like a case of a guy who is just used to using CVS and is just frustrated to have to learn something new. Sounds like a stuffy old 95er.

The forum doesn't appear to be used, but the blog has plenty of rants about TFS on it if you really want to subject yourself to that.

• User profile image
    numedia

tgraupmann wrote:
    We've been using VS 2005 with TFS Explorer, which has been extremely buggy. We've recently upgraded to VS 2008, which TFS client is the best?

What's wrong with the one that comes with TFS? Why would you use anything else?

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

tgraupmann wrote:

If you really don't like the MS client, you might want to have a lokk at http://www.teamprise.com/

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.