Tech Off Thread

27 posts

USB cannot read barcode scanner

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    ZippyV

Have you tried rebooting the laptop when the device is connected. In ancient times you had to connect a device, then (re)boot the computer for it to recognize the new hardware.

• User profile image
    jellylychee

ZippyV wrote:
    Have you tried rebooting the laptop when the device is connected. In ancient times you had to connect a device, then (re)boot the computer for it to recognize the new hardware.

yes i did a couple of times already but still the device cannot be recognized

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

It's possible that the USB-PS2 converter you purchased is just a simple pass-through rather than a converter.  A proper converter would be detected as a USB keyboard in Windows and converts whatever it gets from the PS/2 device to the standard protocol used by USB keyboards.

What you're looking for is probably something like this:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107901.

• User profile image
    figuerres

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    It's possible that the USB-PS2 converter you purchased is just a simple pass-through rather than a converter.  A proper converter would be detected as a USB keyboard in Windows and converts whatever it gets from the PS/2 device to the standard protocol used by USB keyboards.

What you're looking for is probably something like this:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107901.

or if built for the PS/2 hardware interface it may be looking for the signal from a keyboard to hook onto....

or depending on some bit of what a real PS/2 port did that the converter is not doing....

• User profile image
    John Melville-- MD

Years ago I worked with a "wedge" PS2 barcode scanner.  It had an odd property that it HAD to have a real keyboard connected to the "outbound" port of the scanner, even if you weren't going to use it.  (IT  was reallty annoying to have an extra keyboard lying arround when the laptop keyboard worked just fine.)

I was wondering if you did the same thing I did.  Use it on your desktop with a "real" keyboard plugged in, and then use it on the laptop all by itself.  For me, plugging in a real keyboard fixed the issue.

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

jellylychee wrote:
    When I plug it in the ps/2 port, the  barcode scanner works. The barcode scanner is recognized by my computer. When the barcode scanner reads barcodes, I can see the output in my computer. I did this in my desktop.

Yes, I already understood this.
    jellylychee wrote:
    The problem is, I want to work on my laptop. I have to because the rest of my family uses the desktop and I always do my work (programming) in school. But my laptop does not have a ps/2 port. So what I did was purchase a ps/2 usb converter adapter.

Yes, and I understood this as well.

jellylychee wrote:
    When I connect the barcode scanner to the converter adapter, and I connect the converter adapter to the USB port, that is where the problem begins. "USB Device Not Recognized". The converter adapter is working fine if I connect my ps/2 mouse and keyboard but it does not work when I connect the barcode scanner.

So to summarize, it works in the ps/2 port. But it does not work thru the use of the converter adapter.

Ah, some details...

Did you see see my closing comment - I'll requote it (strike 2):

jellylychee wrote:

RichardRudek wrote:
    Also, have you tried plugging in the desktop's keyboard along with the barcode scanner, like you would (I assume) with your dekstop ?

Why would that make any difference ?

Because the barcode scanner device is probably looking for the clock signal from the keyboard, so it knows how to set itself up, and be able to inject appropriately into the keyboard's data stream. From memory there were/are at least two keyboard clock speeds 6 and 8 MHz. Though I'd have to look that up, to be sure.

Have to go, I'll check back later this afternoon, or tonight..

• User profile image
    jellylychee

John Melville, MD wrote:
    Years ago I worked with a "wedge" PS2 barcode scanner.  It had an odd property that it HAD to have a real keyboard connected to the "outbound" port of the scanner, even if you weren't going to use it.  (IT  was reallty annoying to have an extra keyboard lying arround when the laptop keyboard worked just fine.)

I was wondering if you did the same thing I did.  Use it on your desktop with a "real" keyboard plugged in, and then use it on the laptop all by itself.  For me, plugging in a real keyboard fixed the issue.

Well yeah I did this. But, now the barcode won't read right. I can type using the keyboard just fine, but the scanner does not scan right. The scanner beeps, but the output is just wrong.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

I had this problem too, when I scanned a barcode I got something like éçç§à&( Turns out the scanner was configured with a querty type keyboard. If you don't have the manual of the scanner, try changing the keyboard settings in Windows.

• User profile image
    jellylychee

ZippyV wrote:

I had this problem too, when I scanned a barcode I got something like éçç§à&( Turns out the scanner was configured with a querty type keyboard. If you don't have the manual of the scanner, try changing the keyboard settings in Windows.

although i am not so sure on how to do that i will research on it and try it out. thanks

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.