Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What Processor to go for

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    cpod

I am going to buy myself a laptop and have a choice of a P4 3.0Ghz or a Centrino 1.6Ghz. The machine will mainly be used for development.

What do people recommend?

What will the speed difference be, is the Centrino as fast?

Chris.

• User profile image
    robert

I would buy the cheepest and go for the fastest HD disk you can buy. Visual Studio is I/O bound when you build large solutions with lots of projects.

• User profile image
    cpod

Both machines are from the same company and I think but haven't been able to confirm that they both use the same hard disk type.

Does anyone know what the speed differnce between a P4 and a Centrino is?

• User profile image
    Hailstorm

I've found a web page. It can be helpful

http://www.ntcompatible.com/thread25809-1.html

• User profile image
    cpod

Thanks for the link.

I think the Centrino is the one to go for. The machine with the Centrino also has an extra 20GB of hard disk space which would be handy. Plus it also has firewire and S-Video ports which I did want but could have lived without.

• User profile image
    nlinus

The Centrino runs much cooler.  I think it would probably last longer.  However I agree that you shouldn't worry so much about processor speed and pay more attention to HD speed.

Rob N

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.