Tech Off Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

IIS 5.0 Configuration for multiple NIC cards

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Darrell

Hi

If I have multiple NIC cards in a server, and I need one website to use a particular NIC card to accept and post requests, where can I specify this for IIS. The main problem is that I am using asp to post an XMLHTTP request to another external server. I want every request to be piped through a specific NIC card, whereas currently it varies which NIC card the request is piped through

I hope this is clear

Darrell

• User profile image
    Jernej

Do you have different IPs on each NIC? If so, you can create two web sites and bind each to different IP. I guess it would work.

J

• User profile image
    Darrell

There are different IP address for each NIC. In fact there are three NIC's with different IP's for each. I am not so much concerned with incoming requests made to the IIS server, however, I am more concerned with requests made FROM the IIS server to other servers

Thanks

Darrell

• User profile image
    Jernej

You could hard-code routes if that is an option.

route add [external_server_1_IP] [netmask] [nic1_IP]
    route add [external_server_2_IP] [netmask] [nic2_IP]

Would that work?

J

• User profile image
    Darrell

That is one option that I have already thought of. I just wanted to check whether there was a method of configuring IIS itself to post requests out on the relevant NIC card, rather than at TCP level.

If this is the only method then it shall have to suffice. However, if there any other methods please let me know

Thanks

Darrell

• User profile image
    GooberDLX

This is only a guess, as I do not know enough to make a clear judgement..

Is there a standard that says that a request has to be fulfilled by the IP that recieved the request? How else would standards such as SSL work if that didnt happen?

Jake

• User profile image
    tallen007

In IIS Mgr, right click on the website you wish to bind to a IP address.  select properties.  On the "Web Site" tab, click the "Advanced" button.  select a item in this list and click "edit". In the Ip drop down list you should have options to select each of your ips.  Select the ip you want to bind to that web site and click ok.

Hope that helps!

• User profile image
    FluffyDevil​Bunny

Your only option is to static route them. IIS listens on IP Stacks but does not control routing of outgoing requests.

• User profile image
    Maurits

Why does it make a difference which NIC is used for outbound XMLHTTP requests?  Does the external server lock down the requested page by IP to one of your NICs?

• User profile image
    AndyC

Can you not do it by using separate private IP ranges for the different cards?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.