Tech Off Post

Single Post Permalink

View Thread: Scientific research and .NET
  • User profile image
    sciencec

I'm working in the field of experimental psychology (uh, better call it 'behavioral sciences', there is too much garbage in psychology...) at the MPI for Human Development (Germany). After writing a lot of code in C++ during the last years (programs for psychological experiments, statistical analysis, simulations, ...), I switched to C# last year. Development is much faster now, mostly due to the dramatically reduced time to find bugs or conceptual errors. Moreover, there is a bunch of technologies that I actually use now in my daily work (e.g. Managed DirectX, component development, XML/XSLT, GDI+, remoting, distributed computing, targeting mobile devices) but seemed - at least to me - sometimes too complicated to use with Visual C++ and MFC (yes, I'm not a computer scientist by education; and yes, I do think that COM is pretty complicated!).

To sum up: To me, scientific development with C#/.NET is not just simpler and faster than before. It gives also access to a huge toolbox that allows me to develop quite different kinds of more or less sophisticated applications that even look better than before (finally!).