Tech Off Thread

20 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Scientific research and .NET

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    phunky_avoc​ado

Well, back in the late 90's when I was working on my Ph.D. I wrote some insanely complicated neural systems simulations/models.  It was a lot of fun, needless to say.  But, in retrospect, I sure wish I had C# and managed code.  My only concern would be processing time.  My simulations took days to complete.  I wonder how they would compare to managed code, all things being equal of course.

Sorry for the retrospective answer, but it is the best I can do at this time.

Charles wrote:
    Is anybody out there writing CLR-based computer modeling software or other research tools?

I'm just trying to get a feel for how the .NET Framework is being used in the scientific world.

Beyond the increase in your productivity (concentration on algorithms, not memory management implementations), what other pleasant surprises have you encountered when writing managed applications in a research or academic context? What problems have you encountered?

Keep on posting,

Charles

• User profile image
    Charles

phunky_avocado wrote:
    Well, back in the late 90's when I was working on my Ph.D. I wrote some insanely complicated neural systems simulations/models.  It was a lot of fun, needless to say.  But, in retrospect, I sure wish I had C# and managed code.  My only concern would be processing time.  My simulations took days to complete.  I wonder how they would compare to managed code, all things being equal of course.

Sorry for the retrospective answer, but it is the best I can do at this time.

I'd say your neural systems application, which is necessarily computation-heavy, is a prime candidate for porting to managed C++. You can keep your mathematical algorithms unmanaged and the rest of your code managed, in the same file, alas and all done in a powerful and clever development environment. This should have a net positive effect on both your productivity and application reliability and stability.

I encourage you to Test out the new Beta 1 MC++ (check out Visual C++ Express) and let the C++ team know what you think of the innovations made in the compiler and language. 

And send them bugs! Smiley

Charles

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.