Tech Off Thread

7 posts

My 64-bit version of Vista keeps after SP1

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    RodAtWork

I had previously installed service pack 1 for Vista on one of my desktop machines several weeks ago.  And I have had no problems at all.  So I decided to go ahead and install the 64-bit version of SP1 onto my 64-bit version of Vista Ultimate.  However, that did NOT work.  In fact, it is rebooting itself over and over again.  I have heard that this sometimes happens.  However, I have not heard how to fix this problem, and furthermore I thought that Microsoft had fixed this problem before releasing SP1 again.  I waited for that release before installing it the first time on my first Vista PC.  Bottom line, what do I do to fix it?  It will not log into fix, instead it spends its time going into the Windows Error Recovery window, from which I can do nothing, and then it restarts itself again.  So it is now in an endless loop.  This really sucks, as this IS my primary development machine!!!!!!!  So, I really need help here.  Please, let me know what I am supposed to do, or point me to where I am supposed to go, to get this fixed!!!!!!!

• User profile image
    RodAtWork

BTW, I forgot to mention that trying to start it in Safe Mode does not work!  When I do it gets to the point of running crcdisk.sys, stops for a bit and then reboots itself.

• User profile image
    littleguru

RodAtWork said:
    BTW, I forgot to mention that trying to start it in Safe Mode does not work!  When I do it gets to the point of running crcdisk.sys, stops for a bit and then reboots itself.
    I had that too... in my case the harddisk was broken.

• User profile image
    Doctor Who

RodAtWork said:

What is crcdisk.sys a driver to?  And given my current predicament, how do I fix crcdisk.sys if I cannot log into Windows?

• User profile image
    figuerres

Doctor Who said:
    RodAtWork said:
    *snip*

What is crcdisk.sys a driver to?  And given my current predicament, how do I fix crcdisk.sys if I cannot log into Windows?

looks like it has to do with SATA drives and or raid disks (mirror/stripe etc).

do you have a raid set?

sata controler?

do you have your vista dvd to do a repair with?

did you get sp1 from the windows update service?

did you read the msft kb on vista sp1?

did you backup files before doing sp1 ?

• User profile image
    Doctor Who

figuerres said:
    Doctor Who said:
    *snip*
    looks like it has to do with SATA drives and or raid disks (mirror/stripe etc).

do you have a raid set?

sata controler?

do you have your vista dvd to do a repair with?

did you get sp1 from the windows update service?

did you read the msft kb on vista sp1?

did you backup files before doing sp1 ?
    I do have a SATA drive, and therefore a SATA controller.  I've also got the Vista DVD, so I could do the repair, but what do I do next?  I mean, once I get the Repair OS going, then what do I choose?

• User profile image
    Retro​Recursion

Why not use System Restore to get yourself back to a pre-SP1 state?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.