Tech Off Thread

14 posts

Netgear Port

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Harlequin

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Switches/DesktopSwitches/GS116.aspx

Would something like this be good for the home? Bit of a pain in my home network because everyone is hooked up different. Me and my wife are right on the router, the router goes to a hub where my 2 boys laptops are hooked up to. One other computer is on the router, router also goes to a wireless Linksys, in which the upstairs computer is hooked up to directly with wire(thus no real IP).

Would is be nicer with something like this where all computers go into directly?

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

Like this?

Looks pretty good. The only optimization I would suggest would be to remove the Linksys altogether and just plug the upstairs computer directly into the router.

What scenario is causing you pain?

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Matthew van Eerde said:
    Like this?

Looks pretty good. The only optimization I would suggest would be to remove the Linksys altogether and just plug the upstairs computer directly into the router.

What scenario is causing you pain?
    Perfect drawing, exactly what it is.

Problem is that "Boy 2"(as example) has Vista Home Basic on his laptop and he can't see shares on "Harlequin"(Vista Home Premium). "Boy 1" has XP Pro. Computer upstairs(XP Pro) can't see the share on Harlequin. I have music share and want to share with others, but only my wife really has access to my share. Probably "Other computer" as well, but haven't tried.

Was easier before with XP since you could just put in //IP/sharename, but I guess you can't do IP shares like that with Vista.

Figured if all the computers came out of the same place, they'd see each other better. Especially with Vista.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Harlequin said:
    Matthew van Eerde said:
    *snip*

Problem is that "Boy 2"(as example) has Vista Home Basic on his laptop and he can't see shares on "Harlequin"(Vista Home Premium). "Boy 1" has XP Pro. Computer upstairs(XP Pro) can't see the share on Harlequin. I have music share and want to share with others, but only my wife really has access to my share. Probably "Other computer" as well, but haven't tried.

Was easier before with XP since you could just put in //IP/sharename, but I guess you can't do IP shares like that with Vista.

Figured if all the computers came out of the same place, they'd see each other better. Especially with Vista.
    I'll simplify things.

Will a switch like this one help computers on your home network see each other better?

• User profile image
    blowdart

Harlequin said:
    Harlequin said:
    *snip*
    I'll simplify things.

Will a switch like this one help computers on your home network see each other better?
    No.

The switches/hubs are not the problem (a router/NAT device would be)

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

To wit, the Linksys is a problem (since it's a router.)

The problems on the boys' computers are likely not due to the hub, but there are plenty of other ways for networks to fail.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Matthew van Eerde said:
    To wit, the Linksys is a problem (since it's a router.)

The problems on the boys' computers are likely not due to the hub, but there are plenty of other ways for networks to fail.
    Might not be a router; linksys do plain access points.

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

blowdart said:
    Matthew van Eerde said:
    *snip*
    Might not be a router; linksys do plain access points.
    But those typically only have one wired network interface, which is not the case here.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Matthew van Eerde said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*
    But those typically only have one wired network interface, which is not the case here.
    Then how does it attach to the router? Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

blowdart said:
    Matthew van Eerde said:
    *snip*
    Then how does it attach to the router? Tongue Out
    Maybe I'm confused.
    There are wireless access points, which act as layer-2 extenders of a wired network to the air. These need, and have, only a single wired interface, which plugs into the router. They route layer-3 stuff like DHCP packets and returns.
    There are also wireless routers, which frequently have five wired network interfaces - one on the "public" side, and four on the "private" side - as well as a wireless interface. The "public" wired interface plugs into the upstream router, and the "private" network computers can either plug in to the "private" network interfaces or connect via the air.
    Harlequin seems to imply that his Linksys thingy has at least two wired network interfaces, which to me implies that it is likely not an access point.

• User profile image
    AndyC

Matthew van Eerde said:
    blowdart said:
    *snip*
    Maybe I'm confused.
    There are wireless access points, which act as layer-2 extenders of a wired network to the air. These need, and have, only a single wired interface, which plugs into the router. They route layer-3 stuff like DHCP packets and returns.
    There are also wireless routers, which frequently have five wired network interfaces - one on the "public" side, and four on the "private" side - as well as a wireless interface. The "public" wired interface plugs into the upstream router, and the "private" network computers can either plug in to the "private" network interfaces or connect via the air.
    Harlequin seems to imply that his Linksys thingy has at least two wired network interfaces, which to me implies that it is likely not an access point.
    Though, to throw a little extra into the mix, you can also get wireless routers which can be configured to act as dumb access points, in which case the sockets normally on the "private" side of the network act like a hub. They're far less common that plain old routers though.

• User profile image
    picohat

Harlequin said:
    Matthew van Eerde said:
    *snip*

Ok.. I think you might not configured file sharing properly on those computers... Temporary disable all the firewalls on computers (windows firewall, antivirus firewall, etc) until you have resolved this issue. You should be able to ping that Harlequin's IP from other computers, then take a look on these artilces to help you...

Enabling Simple File Sharing in Windows Vista

Password Protected File Sharing in Windows Vista

Why I Can’t See XP computers in Windows Vista Network Map

Hope helps..

• User profile image
    Harlequin

picohat said:
    Harlequin said:
    *snip*
    Ok.. I think you might not configured file sharing properly on those computers... Temporary disable all the firewalls on computers (windows firewall, antivirus firewall, etc) until you have resolved this issue. You should be able to ping that Harlequin's IP from other computers, then take a look on these artilces to help you...

Enabling Simple File Sharing in Windows Vista

Password Protected File Sharing in Windows Vista

Why I Can’t See XP computers in Windows Vista Network Map

Hope helps..

Yeah, think I've done most of those things on the boys Vista laptop, still can't see other computers. And yeah, the wireless isn't really a router for anything, just to spew out wireless; upstairs computer is just attached to it via network cable because I didn't want to run another cable up there, I'm probably going to bring the wireless downstairs anyways too hook up to the router(it already is upstairs) so the upstairs computer can use that plus and be into the router directly.

Would the Netgear product not make things cleaner and easier? Since all computers(each has it's own static IP) will be hooked up to it, and have the same parent. Would it not be less of a hassle for them to see each other, for those not 100% network-saavy? Smiley

• User profile image
    RichardRudek

Harlequin said:
    picohat said:
    *snip*
    Yeah, think I've done most of those things on the boys Vista laptop, still can't see other computers. And yeah, the wireless isn't really a router for anything, just to spew out wireless; upstairs computer is just attached to it via network cable because I didn't want to run another cable up there, I'm probably going to bring the wireless downstairs anyways too hook up to the router(it already is upstairs) so the upstairs computer can use that plus and be into the router directly.

Would the Netgear product not make things cleaner and easier? Since all computers(each has it's own static IP) will be hooked up to it, and have the same parent. Would it not be less of a hassle for them to see each other, for those not 100% network-saavy? Smiley
    Depends, but probably.

Working off the diagram posted by Matthew, the (unnamed) Router (which is central to all of this) has five wired 'local' connections. However, most domestic Routers that I'm familiar with only have four locals, plus a WAN - a fifth network port, sure. But it is not the same as a local port.

So I'm confused. Perhaps you should tell us what this Router is.

Also, I assume that your home network also provides a shared Internet connection. When you mention a Router, this is a natural conclusion, but is it correct ?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.