Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Win CE Vs. Windows XP

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    shapra

What can you do with XP that you cannot do with CE (.NET) ? Will CE for example, load on my desktop machine ?

• User profile image
    msemack

Despite the "Windows" name and similar GUI, Windows CE has nothing in common with Windows XP (or any other desktop version of Windows).

In general applications are not binary-compatible between the two platforms.  I can't install MS Office on WinCE.

CE uses a different kernel, task scheduler, etc.  It is designed from the ground up to be a "hard" real-time operating system.  It is made for embdded devices (PDAs, cell phones, cash registers, industrial machinery, etc).

WinXP works on only x86 processors, while WinCE will work on severl different CPU types, including x86, ARM, and XScale.

CE is also designed to be modular.  You can make a build of WinCE that only has the components you need.  You can make a WinCE build that uses as little as 1 or 2 meg.  Now, Microsoft DOES make a modular version of Windows XP, called XP Embedded, but that's another topic.

Could you install CE on your desktop machine?  Sure.  You probably won't have WinCE drivers for most of your hardware.  You also wouldn't be able to run much software, either.

• User profile image
    shapra

Thanks for the reply.

Win CE documentation claims broad support for Networking, Multimedia, File Systems, Security, Speech, Power Management etc.

What specific types of my desktop hardware wouldnt work?

Thanks!

• User profile image
    msemack

shapra wrote:

What specific types of my desktop hardware wouldnt work?

Well, all of your hardware needs Windows CE drivers.  That includes:
    - Video Card
    - Sound Card
    - Network Card
    - Modem

Some things may have WinCE drivers, some things may not.

Microsoft maintains a list of supported hardware here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/usewinemb/ce/drivers/supdrivers/default.aspx

• User profile image
    W3bbo

msemack wrote:

WinXP works on only x86 processors

Forgetting IA64, x64, AMD64, and Intel's hybrid architecture used for its's Xeons? Wink

• User profile image
    msemack

W3bbo wrote:
    msemack wrote:
    WinXP works on only x86 processors

Forgetting IA64, x64, AMD64, and Intel's hybrid architecture used for its's Xeons? Wink

All x86-64 CPUs (Intel and AMD) can all be lumped into the "x86" category.

IA64 is off by itself, but Windows works on that too.

• User profile image
    andyandy

... and previous versions of Windows NT (remember that Windows XP is NT v5.1) supported Alpha AXP, Power PC and MIPS R4x00 Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.