Tech Off Thread

22 posts

Whats on your Utility Belt ?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Neal

My belt's main purpose is for all my wireless gadgets and not just making me look all snazzy. These are some of the gadgets that adorned my belt recently..and here is the funniest part, they were on me all at the same time ! HA ! 

1 Verizon Wireless Blackberry ( for email and phone )

1 Nextel Color Screen Blackberry ( for "redundancy")

1 Nextel I730 phone ( walkied talkie / GPS navigator phone ..you know in case I get lost..in NYC...yeah thats it.)

1 Samsung I700 Pocket PC smartphone ( gotta have a pocket pc )

OK, so I geeked out. well i got rid of the color blackberry and the i700, they're not residing at the bottom of my desk draw now.

• User profile image
    librarian

Do you have the Dick Tracy SPOT watch as well?

• User profile image
    Richard Acton

I'm suprised your trousers don't fall down with all that weight attached to your belt.

I have a SPV E200 It does everything I need.

http://shop.orange.co.uk/shop/show/handset/orange_spv_e200/details

• User profile image
    spod

I have no wireless gadgets whatsoever - i don't even wear a watch or have a mobile phone... not sure why, i think i like being able to be out of touch when i want to be..

am i dramatically losing geek-points here? do i need to buy one of these things, or do most live without wireless connectivity still?

• User profile image
    Lowrez

spod wrote:
    I have no wireless gadgets whatsoever - i don't even wear a watch or have a mobile phone... not sure why, i think i like being able to be out of touch when i want to be..

am i dramatically losing geek-points here? do i need to buy one of these things, or do most live without wireless connectivity still?

Not in my book.  A lot of geeks I know make it a point of pride that they don't carry a cell phone.  It is a distinction from the sysadmins and tech support folks who are 'tethered'.

• User profile image
    Neal

Totally agree, my Cisco geek carrys nothing.

• User profile image
    Neal

Speaking of wireless. Does anyone use a softphone ?

I've given up my regular pots line ( just because there are much cheaper alternative solutions )
    and gone with Cisco based softphones running off my laptop. If the laptop is off or i'm not connected, the calls are forwarded to a Cisco 7960 SIP phone at home or my cell.

I also have a few SIP lines on the laptop but rarely use 'em.

Neal

http://adminnotes.typepad.com

• User profile image
    FrankCarr

Plain old Nokia phone - the model they give you for free when I sign up.

I had a Blackberry provided by a company I contracted at for a year. It was really a pain to carry it around along with a cellphone. Two funny stories came out of it's use there. One was when a particularly boring product manager was going to give a presentation on our work. We setup a scheduler to bombard his Blackberry with mail about every 30 seconds. He ended up turning off his unit after about 5 alerts when he realized he was the butt of a joke. The other was our manager who had a convertable Mustang and drove fast and wild. She was pulled over by the police one day for reckless driving. She was talking on her cellphone and thumbing an entry into the Blackberry while trying to stay on the road and in her lane, apparently not too successfully.

• User profile image
    Neal

The "powers that be" in our company actually has a written policy ; Leave the Blackberries at the door when in attending internal meetings or conferences or don't come at all. 

• User profile image
    SMac

Darn.. your company must be seriously Anti-Fruit or something.. do you work for Meet-Is-Us or something? What's your company's stance against vegitables.. or kiwi fruit..

• User profile image
    Neal

hahaha..... Its just Blackberrys.

• User profile image
    gmiley

I carry only a cell phone most of the time. I do have a Zaurus 5600 handheld as well as a PalmIIIc. Sometimes I carry my Nightvision goggles but only when I'm infiltrating third world countries.

As far as the 'I don't carry even a cell phone' and any argument for that statement. Mine has a nifty new feature, it might not be on your phones though. I call it the 'power button'. Science and technology sure have come a long way.

• User profile image
    mrichman

Motorola MPx200

• User profile image
    lars

gmiley wrote:
    I call it the 'power button'. Science and technology sure have come a long way.

I try to avoid that one. My Nokia 6600 takes a whole 55 seconds to boot up. I think they need to make atleast that piece of technology abit faster.

/Lars.

• User profile image
    gmiley

I've always used Motorola products and have never had anything over 10 seconds (max) for startup time. I'm now using a replacement phone from Kyocera which I have no complaints about so far; it starts up in about the same time if not faster.

I'm thinking about switching from Alltel (formerly GTE) to Nextel, though I must say that my coverage is phenominal with Alltel. I can travel through the Everglades and sustain a signal the whole trip.

I am also fond of the vibrate feature. It doesn't intrude on anything you are doing and if you ignore it, the only one that knows is you. The person calling just thinks you forgot your phone somewhere and you call back when you have time.

It really isn't that hard to ignore a cellphone or any other electronic device for that matter. I laugh when I see people run around or jump over furnature to answer a phone.

• User profile image
    object88

At work, I keep all my technology on my desk-- a Archos jukebox / portable HD, Palm m500, Motorola cell, and coffee mug.  All black-and-white "ancient" technology; I try to stay at least 4 or 5 releases behind the cutting edge.  Much better on the pocketbook.

If I'm not at work, the phone's in the pocket (where it has an annoying habit of changing volumes and going to speakerphone mode; damn external buttons), and everything else is in my free-for-showing-up-at-the-conference totebag.

BTW, anyone else bothered by the exceedingly short charge-time on cell phones these days?  I have to recharge about every other day.  My (archaic) Nokia held a charge for a good week (and was about twice the size...).

• User profile image
    lars

object88 wrote:
    BTW, anyone else bothered by the exceedingly short charge-time on cell phones these days?  I have to recharge about every other day.

Yes. It's like being back in 1997. Love the camera. Love the colour display. But it runs out of juice pretty quick. I'm not too happy about cell phones getting more and more computer properties either; atleast not when it says "please reboot your phone after the installation is finished.". Life ain't easy.

Which reminds me that I need to charge the phone...

/Lars.

• User profile image
    samdruk

Treo 600. And sometimes a Sony DSC-P92.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.