Tech Off Thread

33 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

zero-length string == nothing ??

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Red5

Is this supposed to evaluate to TRUE in vb.net?
    --------------------
    Dim strMessage as String

If strMessage = "" Then
        'if true, do some stuff here
    End If
    -------------------

strMessage, in debug mode, shows a value of "Nothing".
    Is "Nothing" supposed to equal a string of zero length?
    I would have thought Nothing == Null.....which is different than ""

• User profile image
    stevo_

VB will use its own library to do string comparisons, of which is will essentially say that, null is nothing, zero length is nothing. If you pull the IL apart, you'll find VB calling a visual basic compiler services method of some sort.

Kinda one of the reasons I don't like VB, brings a ton of crap with it (althought I think I heard you can tell the compiler not to do this now).

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

stevo_ said:
    VB will use its own library to do string comparisons, of which is will essentially say that, null is nothing, zero length is nothing. If you pull the IL apart, you'll find VB calling a visual basic compiler services method of some sort.

Kinda one of the reasons I don't like VB, brings a ton of crap with it (althought I think I heard you can tell the compiler not to do this now).
    Under C# this would definitely not be the case - (String.Empty != null). There is a static method on the string class that provides simmilar functionality:

static bool String.IsNullOrEmpty(String str);

• User profile image
    stevo_

evildictaitor said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*
    Under C# this would definitely not be the case - (String.Empty != null). There is a static method on the string class that provides simmilar functionality:

static bool String.IsNullOrEmpty(String str);

I appreciate the addition, but that really makes me sound like I've been doing .NET for 3 days or something Tongue Out

• User profile image
    ZippyV

stevo_ said:

Option Strict On ?

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

stevo_ said:
    evildictaitor said:
    *snip*

I appreciate the addition, but that really makes me sound like I've been doing .NET for 3 days or something Tongue Out

Anything you read into my comment further than the strictly technical details I provided was entirely unintentional.

• User profile image
    stevo_

ZippyV said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

Option Strict On ?
    No, its runtime agility:

http://community.bartdesmet.net/blogs/bart/archive/2007/09/03/visual-basic-9-0-feature-focus-runtime-agility.aspx

But its more if you drastically need compilation control I guess.. plus- it doesn't stop vb from trying to call that method.. but it does mean you get to define the method yourself.

• User profile image
    Red5

stevo_ said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*
    No, its runtime agility:

http://community.bartdesmet.net/blogs/bart/archive/2007/09/03/visual-basic-9-0-feature-focus-runtime-agility.aspx

But its more if you drastically need compilation control I guess.. plus- it doesn't stop vb from trying to call that method.. but it does mean you get to define the method yourself.
    I'm slowly making the transition to C# and instances of code like this in our projects re-inforce that decision.

• User profile image
    littleguru

You could probably use:

String.Compare(strMessage, "")

to walk around the "problem" of VB.NET. This will fall back to the bahaviour that you expect.

• User profile image
    spivonious

littleguru said:
    You could probably use:

String.Compare(strMessage, "")

to walk around the "problem" of VB.NET. This will fall back to the bahaviour that you expect.
    At least in VB6 "" a.k.a. vbNullString <> Nothing, so I doubt they'd change it VB.NET.  In fact I think it would give a compiler error in VB6, since a String isn't an object and only objects can be compared with Nothing.

I just tried this in VS2008 and it does evaluate to true....wow...does 0 equal nothing too, since that's the default value of an Integer....wow that does too....who made that decision?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

ZippyV said:
    stevo_ said:
    *snip*

Option Strict On ?
    Option Strict has no bearing on the problem.

And yes, VB considers Nothing and "" to be equivalent in string comparisons. It has done so since the first version of VB.NET (can't remember how VB6 behaved). I find it a very useful behaviour as writing foo = "" is easier than String.IsNullOrEmpty(foo), which has the same effect.

If you must make the distinction, use String.Compare as Littleguru suggested.

• User profile image
    Red5

Sven Groot said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*
    Option Strict has no bearing on the problem.

And yes, VB considers Nothing and "" to be equivalent in string comparisons. It has done so since the first version of VB.NET (can't remember how VB6 behaved). I find it a very useful behaviour as writing foo = "" is easier than String.IsNullOrEmpty(foo), which has the same effect.

If you must make the distinction, use String.Compare as Littleguru suggested.
    Here I thought it might built-in with most apps in VS, by having the Microsoft.VisualBasic reference automatically added.
    No such luck. It's default behavior like most here suggested.

My practice is to declare a string with a default value of either String.Empty or just plain "".
    In this case, I either forgot or someone else forgot to do this.

Good point on String.Compare

• User profile image
    littleguru

Red5 said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    Here I thought it might built-in with most apps in VS, by having the Microsoft.VisualBasic reference automatically added.
    No such luck. It's default behavior like most here suggested.

My practice is to declare a string with a default value of either String.Empty or just plain "".
    In this case, I either forgot or someone else forgot to do this.

Good point on String.Compare
    You also might to want Equals...

String.Equals(strMessage, String.Empty)

if you like that more. It also returns a Boolean instead of an Integer and it's also what the == operator on String uses internally.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

strMessage Is String.Empty also works.

• User profile image
    ratkiley

Well, in VB.NET Nothing has a very different meaning than Null in C#.  In C#, null refers only to reference types and means there is no reference assigned to the reference variable.  Nothing, on the other hand is the default value of any particular data type or object.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

Programous said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

Note that  String.IsNullOrEmpty is much faster then == "". If your in a loop (for example, when parsing a file) you can defiantly see the difference.

See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ms182279.aspx

And .Length == 0 is even faster if you know that the string is non-null. In fact:

static bool IsNullorEmpty(string s){
      return ((object)s == null) || (s.Length == 0);
    }

• User profile image
    stevo_

evildictaitor said:
    Programous said:
    *snip*
    And .Length == 0 is even faster if you know that the string is non-null. In fact:

static bool IsNullorEmpty(string s){
      return ((object)s == null) || (s.Length == 0);
    }
    I think that is inferred by the example between 1.1 and 2.0 Tongue Out but yes.. any real world performance charts on it?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.