Tech Off Thread

5 posts

IE 7 AppCompat VHD... Expired?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    lewellyn

My XP IE 7 AppCompat VHD died yesterday, which surprised me. After all, I only installed a new one a couple weeks ago. So, I went to download it again today. Sure enough, it's also already expired.

The strange thing is that the download page states "This VPC image will expire in January, 2009." I really have no desire to run Vista in Vista, under virtualization, just to be able to test in IE 7. I'd rather just test in IE 6 and IE8's "Compatibility Mode" than deal with the performance hit. (My CPU has a hard enough time running XP in virtualization, sometimes! This particular system only has an Experience Index of 2.5... Wink ) After all, if stuff looks fine in IE 6, IE 8 (normal/standards), and IE 8 rendering "as" IE 7, it probably will look fine in the real IE 7.

Anyone else experiencing an expired VM? Or is it just me, being quite unlucky?

• User profile image
    JChung2006

Me too.  They didn't update the IE 7 VM when they refreshed the IE 6 and 8 VM's. Likely an oversight.

• User profile image
    lewellyn

JChung2006 said:
    Me too.  They didn't update the IE 7 VM when they refreshed the IE 6 and 8 VM's. Likely an oversight.

Hm. OK. At least I'm not living in some parallel universe from everyone else. Smiley

Luckily, the majority of my testing right now is to make sure I didn't break IE 6's rendering. So, when I do my run-through on IE 7, I'll reboot the Mac into XP. Smiley

But, here's to hoping that someone who can get a new VHD released notices soon.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

lewellyn said:
    JChung2006 said:
    *snip*

Hm. OK. At least I'm not living in some parallel universe from everyone else. Smiley

Luckily, the majority of my testing right now is to make sure I didn't break IE 6's rendering. So, when I do my run-through on IE 7, I'll reboot the Mac into XP. Smiley

But, here's to hoping that someone who can get a new VHD released notices soon.

Contact Pete LePage (http://blogs.msdn.com/petel/contact.aspx).  He used to announce new IE VPC's on his blog on a regular basis.  While he may be doing other things these days, I bet he could point you to the right person to contact about these.

• User profile image
    JChung2006

JChung2006 said:
    lewellyn said:
    *snip*
    Contact Pete LePage (http://blogs.msdn.com/petel/contact.aspx).  He used to announce new IE VPC's on his blog on a regular basis.  While he may be doing other things these days, I bet he could point you to the right person to contact about these.
    They fixed this oversight recently.  IE7 VHD refresh on XP SP3 is now available on the Download Center.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.