Tech Off Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Virtual PC ON Windows 98?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    qwert231

    Have a situation where we have a working Win 98 box with critical software we can't risk losing. We want to do a Virtual PC situation.

    Is there software that can run on Win 98 that allows a virtual PC?

  • User profile image
    ZippyV

    Yes, Windows 98 is supported on VPC.

  • User profile image
    stevo_

    I dont get it, you have some software that needs to run on 98, and so you want to run windows 98.. natively, and run virtualization software on it to do what?

  • User profile image
    JChung2006

    Windows 98 is supported as a guest OS but not a host OS - Supported host and guest operating systems [Wikipedia].

  • User profile image
    jh71283

    I'm with stevo on this one.

    Your software runs on win98, so why can't you run a '98 virtual PC within a XP / Vista environment?

    You seem to be wanting to run a VPC '98 on Win '98 - therefore there is no need for the VPC.

  • User profile image
    jh71283

    -OR- Do you mean that you want to clone the '98 machine into a virtual pc?

  • User profile image
    qwert231

    jh71283 said:
    -OR- Do you mean that you want to clone the '98 machine into a virtual pc?
    We want to sample win XP on this box without wiping out the current software installation.

    So, Windows 98 running a VPC of WinXP.


    Is there something other than MS's version out there that might do this?

  • User profile image
    AndyC

    qwert231 said:
    jh71283 said:
    *snip*
    We want to sample win XP on this box without wiping out the current software installation.

    So, Windows 98 running a VPC of WinXP.


    Is there something other than MS's version out there that might do this?
    Don't think so. Bear in mind also that a VPC solution isn't going to tell you anything about how XP would work on that hardware, as it is only exposed to an emulated subset of hardware that doesn't differ between machines.

  • User profile image
    qwert231

    AndyC said:
    qwert231 said:
    *snip*
    Don't think so. Bear in mind also that a VPC solution isn't going to tell you anything about how XP would work on that hardware, as it is only exposed to an emulated subset of hardware that doesn't differ between machines.
    Then I should probably set up the machine as dual boot.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.