Tech Off Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Making a Hard Drive Bootable (for an ICOP eBoxII)

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    samer

I'm trying to produce something similar to what chris gray describes in this video blog post:

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=2&PostID=15298

(I have posted this question there too, but nobody has replied so I assumed here would be a better place to ask)

...anyway....

The only thing from that whole tutorial that I can't do is make the hard drive bootable.

Can anybody help?

btw:

I have used the boot floppy image (setupdisk.144) that comes with platform builder and used the format utility on it with a /s and it didn;t work.

The drive seems to be fine because when I connect it using a USB/IDE cable it works.

• User profile image
    samer

Ok, so it seems I'm not making any progress with this question.

Let me start from scratch:

Suppose you buy a new machine with a new empty hard drive and you don't want to install any operating system you just want to make it bootable, what do you do?

• User profile image
    Minh

samer wrote:
    Ok, so it seems I'm not making any progress with this question.

Let me start from scratch:

Suppose you buy a new machine with a new empty hard drive and you don't want to install any operating system you just want to make it bootable, what do you do?

1) I'd make sure that from within BIOS, my HDD is a selected as a bootable device.
    2) Does your machine have a floppy? If not you'll have to prepare the HDD from some other machine.
    2) You'll need some kind of O/S on your HDD, even if it's a minimal one.
        a) Create a Win98 bootable floppy w/ FDISK, FORMAT
        b) Boot up from this floppy
        c) FDISK & FORMAT /s your HDD
        d) That should put the COMMAND.COM & others on the HDD, so that you'd be able to boot up & see a DOS prompt from it.

• User profile image
    Minh

samer wrote:
    I have used the boot floppy image (setupdisk.144) that comes with platform builder and used the format utility on it with a /s and it didn;t work.
    When you said it didn't work, what kind of error message are you getting?

• User profile image
    samer

1) HDD is detected by BIOS and set as primary boot device

2) I'm using a USB floppy. setupdisk.144 that I talked about is a boot floppy disk image that comes with platform builder and contains fdisk and format.

3) I used fdisk and format (with a /s) but I don't see the dos prompt nor do I see an error all I get is a blank screen with a blinking cursor

• User profile image
    Minh

I wonder what image is on that setup.144. Do you have another way of creating a bootable floppy?

• User profile image
    samer

The setupdisk.144 is a regular Ms-dos boot image. It comes with platform builder that is used to install windows CE. How else can I create a boot floppy?

Could the drive have a bad boot sector? How can If ind out?

• User profile image
    Minh

samer wrote:
    The setupdisk.144 is a regular Ms-dos boot image. It comes with platform builder that is used to install windows CE. How else can I create a boot floppy?

Could the drive have a bad boot sector? How can If ind out?
    I haven't worked with setupdisk.144, so I don't know the details, but if you have access to another computer, you can easily create a bootable floppy by formatting the floppy with the option to make it bootable. Then copy FORMAT.COM to that floppy so you can format /s your harddrive.

• User profile image
    samer

That is exactly what I just did......Same Result 

!!!!It's driving me nuts!!!!!

Is there anyway to find out if the boot sector of the drive is damaged? Because the drive itself works fine: I connected it to my PC using a USD/IDE cable and I was able to read and write to it.

• User profile image
    Minh

Clear out your Master Boot Record with "FDISK /mbr" just in case.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

What file system are you using?

I have found this tool very handy to re-write the MBR and partion boot sectors on duff disks.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html

Stephen.

• User profile image
    samer

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your help. But as it turns out it was a case of a faulty boot sector. I bought a new drive (that bit me back a bit) but at least it's running.

Thanks again
    Samer

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.