Tech Off Thread

19 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Favorite Linux distro

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Charles

What's your favorite Linux distro and why? Also, do any of the Linux kernels implement homeostatic process management?

Charles

• User profile image
    Rossj

Ubuntu Smiley

I've stayed away from Linux for about a year now, trying to convince myself that I need to spend more time on Windows (as the dominant arch).  I installed ubuntu on a ppc box a couple of months ago but didn't touch it much and re-installed today. Why do I like it? Because it reminds me why I got into software in the first place, Linux is where all the passion is.

I had a bit of an epiphany today, I actually do like Linux. Lots.  I'm also about to change jobs so I think I am going to try and get away from Windows development and go for something where platform doesn't matter and where the company is a bit more open to other platforms than my current employer. 

So I guess I'm going back into lurk mode fairly soon, nothing much to contribute to the monologue anymore.  Let's see how far I get with just OSX and Linux.

--
    I was under the impression that process management under Linux has been balanced dynamically since very early on.  The kernel source is probably the best place to look as long as you don't intend to work on the Windows kernel in future.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I use FC3, but my favourite distro is Knoppix. I mean, it's a Linux distro that boots of CD, flawlessly detects all my hardware, and works perfectly without having to configure anything.

Windows needs a live-CD version.

• User profile image
    wacko

I use to have a Live-boot Version of windows 98... I am sure with DVDs today they could make something similar with windows XP. As far as linux goes Gentoo and its config hell are the win.

• User profile image
    Charles

Rossj wrote:

So I guess I'm going back into lurk mode fairly soon, nothing much to contribute to the monologue anymore. 

What do you mean by "the monologue"? Are we too one-sided here? How can we change this? What can I do to attract more Microsoft detractors, for example? I have a few ideas, but I'd love to hear others.

Charles

• User profile image
    geekling

I use Ubuntu on my desktop computer--its the only distribution of Linux that works well without me having to tweak it, and am of the strange philosophy that if it does not work well once its installed, I'm not going to bother with it.

• User profile image
    Intrigued

Damn Small Linux!

Nothing like a distro of *nux on a 50MB business card CD-R for when you're out at your favorite Internet-hip coffee house!  Keep the cookies in you belly and not on that public machine!

Wink

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Slackware, been using it since V1.0, long before I made the jump to Windows Smiley

As to why, don't really know just feels right, not a great fan of all these flashy graphics and what not, just want the thing to work and Slackware has always done that for me!

Stephen.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Charles wrote:
    Rossj wrote:
    So I guess I'm going back into lurk mode fairly soon, nothing much to contribute to the monologue anymore. 

What do you mean by "the monologue"? Are we too one-sided here? How can we change this? What can I do to attract more Microsoft detractors, for example? I have a few ideas, but I'd love to hear others.

Charles

More employees not more detractors. I am still waiting for someone from MacBU to answer my questions after the video at the start of January.

I just can't see the point of a conversation that includes hundreds of customers and less than 10 Microsoft employees.

• User profile image
    AFO#

Fedora.

Using GNOME as desktop environment it's the best Smiley

• User profile image
    Maurits

Tried:
    Red Hat 7 (pre-Fedora)
    Mandrake something
    Slackware

Favorite: Slackware

Why?
    Because the installer forces me to analyze the package dependencies myself.  I know exactly what's on the machine and why everything's there.

EDIT: please define homeostatic process management

• User profile image
    Charles

Maurits wrote:
    please define homeostatic process management

Here's a good definition of what it is and why it's interesting. It was a Linux 2.2 kernel extension in 1994. So, I'm wondering if a) pH (process homeostasis component) has functionally evolved in, say, the 2.6 kernel and b) how one goes about finding this out without browsing the latest sources.

C

• User profile image
    Rossj

Charles wrote:
    Maurits wrote: please define homeostatic process management

Here's a good definition of what it is and why it's interesting. It was a Linux 2.2 kernel extension in 1994. So, I'm wondering if a) pH (process homeostasis component) has functionally evolved in, say, the 2.6 kernel and b) how one goes about finding this out without browsing the latest sources.

C

1994 was a little early for the 2.2 kernel Smiley

There was a new set of patches from Anil in 2003 adding some more features to the 2.4 kernel, but I've not seen anything for 2.6.  Not sure they made it into mainline.

• User profile image
    Charles

Rossj wrote:

I used that date since 2.2 was quoted in Anil's 1994 dissertation (linked to above) as being where the pH extenstion was implemented.

Thanks for the update. Seems like a good idea, generally, but some assumptions are unrealistic (like the predictability of user actions). I was curious to see what the latest version of pH looks like ( without looking at source code since I can't do that for legal reasons. How open is that!?? Wink ).

Charles

• User profile image
    Cairo

Fedora Core 3 (Desktop), and Knoppix (Traveling CD).

I like FC3 because it's RedHat. I used Slackware early on (and I mean early... 1.x kernels, floppies -- migrated a computing lab off Netware on the server-side with Slackware and a 486DX-66), and switched to RedHat around version 5.2. RedHat is "the local linux company" -- literally. I live in Raleigh, NC. It's easy to install and use, and generally does everything I want. It also integrates advanced features like SELinux. It doesn't hurt that it's "RHEL-Compatible", in that it's sort of the preview-release version of RHEL.

I like Knoppix because it's an excellent LiveCD distro with superb hardware detection -- a great tool in anyone's repair kit. I keep it right next to my BartPE disks.

I recovered the data off a dead NT4 server (running Solomon - yuck) using Knoppix once.

• User profile image
    Sampy

I've told Charles this in person before but since we're airing our linux preferences...

My progression in college was: Red Hat->Slackware->Debian->Sorcerer (probably dead by now)->Gentoo->Linux from scratch.

It was a fun ride but I'm really enamored with .Net and VS now so I don't see myself going back anytime soon. Who knows though, I still have my Chicks Dig Unix t-shirt. In fact, I'm wearing it right now Smiley

• User profile image
    Rossj

Charles wrote:
    Rossj wrote:

I used that date since 2.2 was quoted in Anil's 1994 dissertation (linked to above) as being where the pH extenstion was implemented.

Nah 2002, he first graduated in '94 but wrote this thesis in 2002.

Charles wrote:
    Thanks for the update. Seems like a good idea, generally, but some assumptions are unrealistic (like the predictability of user actions).

Agreed. Although I am sure I saw something about genetic algorithms in the kernel the other day, maybe they'll be adding some kohonen nets as well ? Wink

Charles wrote:

I was curious to see what the latest version of pH looks like ( without looking at source code since I can't do that for legal reasons. How open is that!?? Wink ).

Haven't found anything, but there is an easy way to find out without reading the code Wink

• User profile image
    Charles

Right you are, Rossj. Guess I should've read the whole Dissertation title ( I did read the dissertation, however) Wink 

Shows you how much I know about Linux, which is what I am working on changing since it is hard to be objective about something that you don't really understand...

Thanks for Anil's contact information.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.