Tech Off Thread

9 posts

Can't do Func ?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

You can't do Func<out char, int> ?

Is there a correct syntax for representing a function that takes a reference as a parameter, or is this not allowed?

• User profile image
    evildictait​or

The first parameter of Func<TResult, TArg1> is the return type of the function, so no, you can't do that.

Func<char, int> corresponds to a function with signature

char foo(int parameter) {}

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

evildictaitor said:
    The first parameter of Func<TResult, TArg1> is the return type of the function, so no, you can't do that.

Func<char, int> corresponds to a function with signature

char foo(int parameter) {}
    evildictator,

The syntax shown in Visual Studio is Func<T, TResult> where T is a parameter.

Either way, it won't let me pass in a type parameter by reference.

• User profile image
    dpratt71

brian.shapiro said:
    evildictaitor said:
    *snip*
    evildictator,

You have the parameter order correct, but you still can't do what you want. The only thing a generic parameter can express is a type. The The parameter direction is defined by the Func<> delegate itself, and you can't change it. Depending on what you're trying to do, you can define your own delegate apart from Func<>. Something like this, perhaps:

public delegate int MyDelegate(out char value);

Actually, I'm not 100% sure the above is valid. An "out" parameter on a delegate may not be valid.

• User profile image
    joechung

dpratt71 said:
    brian.shapiro said:
    *snip*
    You have the parameter order correct, but you still can't do what you want. The only thing a generic parameter can express is a type. The The parameter direction is defined by the Func<> delegate itself, and you can't change it. Depending on what you're trying to do, you can define your own delegate apart from Func<>. Something like this, perhaps:

public delegate int MyDelegate(out char value);

Actually, I'm not 100% sure the above is valid. An "out" parameter on a delegate may not be valid.
    That works.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

I think what you're looking for, to elaborate on what dpratt has written, is a new delegate along these lines:

public delegate void OutFunc<TIn, TOut> (TIn inParam, out TOut outParam); 

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Yggdrasil said:

I think what you're looking for, to elaborate on what dpratt has written, is a new delegate along these lines:

public delegate void OutFunc<TIn, TOut> (TIn inParam, out TOut outParam); 

That's a bad idea. Your delegate has 1 output value. It should be a regular function that RETURNS the output value. The .NET design guidelines state that ref- and out-parameters should only be used if there's no other option.

• User profile image
    littleguru

brian.shapiro said:
    evildictaitor said:
    *snip*
    evildictator,

What does the type have to do with the way how it is passed?

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

TommyCarlier said:
    Yggdrasil said:
    *snip*
    That's a bad idea. Your delegate has 1 output value. It should be a regular function that RETURNS the output value. The .NET design guidelines state that ref- and out-parameters should only be used if there's no other option.

Jeez, can't anybody focus on the issue at hand? Of course it's a pointless method signature, but it serves to illustrate the point of how to represent a generic delegate with an out param, which is what the original poster wanted. A technical question gets a technical answer.
    Would you also like to correct my coding standards, because it's considered unnecessary to add the T prefix to the type definitions?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.