Tech Off Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why doesn't this SQL work?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    qwert231

I'm not sure why this isn't working

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Too small, unreadable.

• User profile image
    dpratt71

It is a bit small, but the first couple lines appears to be:

DB_ID(N'IntranetApps')
    GO

What is this code supposed to be doing? My first guess was that you were trying to switch the connection's current database to "IntranetApps", which would look like this:

USE IntranetApps
    GO

But the rest of the code doesn't require that. Remove it?

• User profile image
    dpratt71

dpratt71 said:
    It is a bit small, but the first couple lines appears to be:

DB_ID(N'IntranetApps')
    GO

What is this code supposed to be doing? My first guess was that you were trying to switch the connection's current database to "IntranetApps", which would look like this:

USE IntranetApps
    GO

But the rest of the code doesn't require that. Remove it?
    Hmm...Formatting is not what I expected (based on the preview), but hopefully you get the idea.

• User profile image
    Dodo

qwert231 said:
    I'm not sure why this isn't working

And I'm not sure why you posted this extremely small screenshot instead of copy'n'pasting the code as text. I tried text detection and sharpening filters on the image and still couldn't read it.

• User profile image
    joechung

Dodo said:
    qwert231 said:
    *snip*

And I'm not sure why you posted this extremely small screenshot instead of copy'n'pasting the code as text. I tried text detection and sharpening filters on the image and still couldn't read it.
    DB_ID(N'IntranetApps')
    GO

SELECT * FROM sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats
    (DB_ID(N'IntranetApps'), OBJECT_ID(N'...'), NULL, NULL, 'DETAILED')
    GO

where ... is the name of an object in his database.

qwert231, check out example C in DB_ID (Transact SQL) [MSDN].

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

joechung said:
    Dodo said:
    *snip*
    DB_ID(N'IntranetApps')
    GO

SELECT * FROM sys.dm_db_index_physical_stats
    (DB_ID(N'IntranetApps'), OBJECT_ID(N'...'), NULL, NULL, 'DETAILED')
    GO

where ... is the name of an object in his database.

qwert231, check out example C in DB_ID (Transact SQL) [MSDN].

You can get SQL formatting like this: [ code language="SQL" ] code here [ /code ]
    Just remove the extra spaces around the [].

EDIT: Ok, apparently that doesn't work. I know the code formatter they use supports SQL (since I wrote it Tongue Out ), but apparently C9 isn't exposing it.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Sven Groot said:
    joechung said:
    *snip*
    You can get SQL formatting like this: [ code language="SQL" ] code here [ /code ]

EDIT: Ok, apparently that doesn't work. I know the code formatter they use supports SQL (since I wrote it Tongue Out ), but apparently C9 isn't exposing it.
    SELECT * FROM sys.databases
    Edit: it works when you put "sql" in lower case letters. Yay for case-sensitivity.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Sven Groot said:
    joechung said:
    *snip*

Duplicate.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Dodo said:
    qwert231 said:
    *snip*

Yeah... he's a source of unanswered questions. And now we are at a question without a question Big Smile

• Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.