Tech Off Thread

21 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

The Brutality of the Genuine Microsoft Concept

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    complete

I bought and built my computer from scratch.  It was a couple of years already but I remember it was from EggHead online.

Ah, but it did not go smoothly.  I was not used to all the chips and connections and such.  But I decyphered the instuctions and I got it put togehter.  And it did not run.

It took days and the days became weeks.  I had to resort to to doing a lot of trial and error and calling up everyone who made each individual part.

I considered that it might be my genuine Microsoft Vista installation CD Itself since this was where the process was croaking.  So I found another OS CD to give it a try.  It still did not work and so I began focusing on other problems.

In the end, it turned out to be the hard drive which was still under warentee and I shipped back and the Egg Heads replaced it.

Ta-Dah!! Eureka!!  I had a working computer.

But in the confusion, did you see, perhaps, where I took a wrong, but all to human and innocent, turn?

I put an operating system on my computer from a CD that I did not buy!!!   The HORROR!!!  But the time I noticed that there made a confused switch and the CD that I bought was back at work and I had the one from work at home, I had moved on to another contract and I could not fix the error.

Now I am screwed.  I cannot make any security upates to my system, and it has gotten so bad that even my control panel will not come up.

Any advice?

What if I go out and buy a new Vista OS disk?  Could I easly install the OS without loosing all my data and other programs?

• User profile image
    Dr Herbie

Well, you can always backup the data and restore it after you change the OS ...

As for losing other programs: surely you have the installers for these other pograms? 

Take a proper catalog of your system (data and software) to ensure you have everything backed up.  It might be worth buying an external hard-drive to copy them to (and to use for daily backups once you have the new OS installed).

Herbie

• User profile image
    ZippyV

It doesn't matter which dvd you use to install Vista, the only difference is between the 32 bit and 64 bit version. Not being able to install security updates or launching the control panel has nothing to do with Vista's activation or genuine advantage.

• User profile image
    figuerres

1) do not build computers
    2) do not swap cd's -- wherever you left the disk may also have problems down the road depending on if you left them the cd-key that goes with the disk.
    3) it's not that MSFT goofed, you did so it's not that the MSFT deal is wrong in this case you shot your self in the foot. buy a license and re-load after you made a backup of the data.

sucks i know but....

• User profile image
    AndyC

ZippyV said:
    It doesn't matter which dvd you use to install Vista, the only difference is between the 32 bit and 64 bit version. Not being able to install security updates or launching the control panel has nothing to do with Vista's activation or genuine advantage.
    Assuming you installed the same version of Vista, it doesn't matter what disk you used, it's all down to the product key you typed in (and that can be changed if you put the wrong one in).

If you used the wrong version you may be able to do an in-place upgrade to a different version of Vista, depending on which versions you have, but it's probably not likely. Doing a reinstall with your own disk you automatically back up the old install (as long as you don;t format the disk) and you can then recover data afterwards. You'd have to reinstall applications afterwards, however.

• User profile image
    complete

Dr Herbie said:
    Well, you can always backup the data and restore it after you change the OS ...

As for losing other programs: surely you have the installers for these other pograms? 

Take a proper catalog of your system (data and software) to ensure you have everything backed up.  It might be worth buying an external hard-drive to copy them to (and to use for daily backups once you have the new OS installed).

Herbie

Once I have the money I think I will do this.
    But for now, I now have discovered that I am unable to go to the Control Panel to do basic tasks.
    When I google this problem of the Control Panel coming up and then going back down straight away, I find that it is
    connected to the "Microsoft Genuine" Thingy (process, procedure, people, etc.).  I see the motivation. 
    If you are suspected of having unlicensed software on your system, Microsoft, I suppose,
    feels it has the right to start taking away your rights.

But what if it is a case of an honest mistake?

Let me ask you this.  Are the 64 bit OS CD's of Windows Vista Business all the same?  Or are
    the OEM CD's physically different than the ones you can buy online or in a retalier?

I ask this question because before the unfortunate disc swap, I did manage to do one thing
    correctly, I removed the sticker with the official ID on it.  Now, can I just do something
    with that ID that shows I honestly purchaced this product?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

complete said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*

Once I have the money I think I will do this.
    But for now, I now have discovered that I am unable to go to the Control Panel to do basic tasks.
    When I google this problem of the Control Panel coming up and then going back down straight away, I find that it is
    connected to the "Microsoft Genuine" Thingy (process, procedure, people, etc.).  I see the motivation. 
    If you are suspected of having unlicensed software on your system, Microsoft, I suppose,
    feels it has the right to start taking away your rights.

But what if it is a case of an honest mistake?

Let me ask you this.  Are the 64 bit OS CD's of Windows Vista Business all the same?  Or are
    the OEM CD's physically different than the ones you can buy online or in a retalier?

I ask this question because before the unfortunate disc swap, I did manage to do one thing
    correctly, I removed the sticker with the official ID on it.  Now, can I just do something
    with that ID that shows I honestly purchaced this product?

Did you call Microsoft Support?

• User profile image
    complete

AndyC said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*
    Assuming you installed the same version of Vista, it doesn't matter what disk you used, it's all down to the product key you typed in (and that can be changed if you put the wrong one in).

If you used the wrong version you may be able to do an in-place upgrade to a different version of Vista, depending on which versions you have, but it's probably not likely. Doing a reinstall with your own disk you automatically back up the old install (as long as you don;t format the disk) and you can then recover data afterwards. You'd have to reinstall applications afterwards, however.

"figueeres" said:

...it's not that MSFT goofed, you did so it's not that the MSFT deal is wrong in this case you shot your self in the foot. buy a license and re-load after you made a backup of the data.

"ZippyV" said:

Assuming you installed the same version of Vista, it doesn't matter what disk you used, it's all down to the product key you typed in (and that can be changed if you put the wrong one in)....If you used the wrong version you may be able to do an in-place upgrade to a different version of Vista, depending on which versions you have, but it's probably not likely. Doing a reinstall with your own disk you automatically back up the old install (as long as you don;t format the disk) and you can then recover data afterwards. You'd have to reinstall applications afterwards, however.

I think now we are getting somewhere.

I have a genuine product key.

I need to change the product key I typed in when I first installed the OS to the right one.

How do I do this?

I am right now in the middle of going through what the "Genuine Microsoft Software" pages
    have to offer.  If they do not tell me, I hope someone here can tell me.

• User profile image
    complete

PaoloM said:
    complete said:
    *snip*
    Did you call Microsoft Support?

The Genuine web pages suggested I go to their forum and post the question there.  I have done so.  So, now you know my name:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/d3e10257-6362-4a5e-8188-bf75d84ccc92/

• User profile image
    Fiziks

complete said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

The Genuine web pages suggested I go to their forum and post the question there.  I have done so.  So, now you know my name:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/d3e10257-6362-4a5e-8188-bf75d84ccc92/

You can easily change your product key in vista.  Go to the control panel -> system and maintenance ->system then scroll to the bottom of the screen where you should find a link that says "Change Product Key" ...best of luck!

• User profile image
    ZippyV

complete said:
    PaoloM said:
    *snip*

"When I google this problem of the Control Panel coming up and then going back down straight away, I find that it is connected to the "Microsoft Genuine" Thingy"

It is not.

I think you have a virus that blocks you from using the control panel.

• User profile image
    complete

ZippyV said:
    complete said:
    *snip*
    "When I google this problem of the Control Panel coming up and then going back down straight away, I find that it is connected to the "Microsoft Genuine" Thingy"

It is not.

I think you have a virus that blocks you from using the control panel.

I have read that the Control Panel not coming up is NOT part of the Genuine issue (here).  But I have also read that it IS part of the Genuine issue (here and also elsewhere).

Here is the real problem.  If it IS part of this issue, then I cannot easily change the Windows Vista Product Key Code because, the steps to do so requires me to open the Control Panel.  Now, I know what you are thinking, you are thinking that I could just reboot in Safe Mode because, oddly enough, I actually CAN open up the Control Panel in Safe Mode.  But I found that the capacity to change  the Windows Vista Product Key Code is disabled in Safe Mode.

So far, I tend to believe that I do not have a virus.  according to Kaspersky, my computer is clean.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

For license replacements, you can call one of the many numbers at Microsoft. After some shuffling around, you'll end up in the right phone queue. Last time I checked a replacement license with key was $15.

As for the medium, it's just a way to get the software onto the computer. While the EULA is too voluminous for me to read thoroughly, I think the intent is that as long as you own a license, it's okay.  As long as the math reveals that the number of licenses used is less than the number purchased, you should have one available.

But what would I know?  I have 3 licenses to Vista and I'm not even using any.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

complete said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*

I have read that the Control Panel not coming up is NOT part of the Genuine issue (here).  But I have also read that it IS part of the Genuine issue (here and also elsewhere).

Here is the real problem.  If it IS part of this issue, then I cannot easily change the Windows Vista Product Key Code because, the steps to do so requires me to open the Control Panel.  Now, I know what you are thinking, you are thinking that I could just reboot in Safe Mode because, oddly enough, I actually CAN open up the Control Panel in Safe Mode.  But I found that the capacity to change  the Windows Vista Product Key Code is disabled in Safe Mode.

So far, I tend to believe that I do not have a virus.  according to Kaspersky, my computer is clean.

I'm testing Service Pack 2 on Windows Server 2008 and I have no product key at all. My grace period for activation has expired and I can still open the control panel.

However you can change the product key without the control panel. Open the command prompt:
    Start -> type 'cmd.exe' -> Right-click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator -> Type: slmgr.vbs -ipk HERECOMESYOURPRODUCTKEY

• User profile image
    complete

ZippyV said:
    complete said:
    *snip*
    I'm testing Service Pack 2 on Windows Server 2008 and I have no product key at all. My grace period for activation has expired and I can still open the control panel.

However you can change the product key without the control panel. Open the command prompt:
    Start -> type 'cmd.exe' -> Right-click cmd.exe and select Run as Administrator -> Type: slmgr.vbs -ipk HERECOMESYOURPRODUCTKEY

Excellent.  I will give it a shot.

But if that somehow does not work:

Let's "cut to the chase".  (#1) Can I install a new OS without wiping the hard drive and loosing all my data and other programs?  (#2) Are the OEM Discs physically different or can I use the ill-gotten CD with my proper Key?

• User profile image
    ZippyV

complete said:
    ZippyV said:
    *snip*

Excellent.  I will give it a shot.

But if that somehow does not work:

Let's "cut to the chase".  (#1) Can I install a new OS without wiping the hard drive and loosing all my data and other programs?  (#2) Are the OEM Discs physically different or can I use the ill-gotten CD with my proper Key?
    All OEM cd's are the same. Do you really think Microsoft would make a new master image for each cd?

• User profile image
    complete

ZippyV said:
    complete said:
    *snip*
    All OEM cd's are the same. Do you really think Microsoft would make a new master image for each cd?
    Are the OEM CD's different than ones that are purchased separately?  No, I do not think that Microsoft would burn a seperate image for each CD but they might have one type for an OEM and another type for one that is seperately bought by someone who is assembling their computer, as I did.

• User profile image
    pierlove

The Microsoft Genuine Advantage, is just that. Its an advantage. In over 15 years of my profession not even once has Microsft denied me or my customer support for a genuine product for any reason. In fact I remember clearly an incident where my clients install disks were damaged for WFW 3.11.  This was before the modern advances in software validation. The hard disks had failed and we had to start over. This was back before the OS shipped on CDROM. Microsoft Overnighted  13 floppies to us and we did not have our Product ID, or Install Keys. All we had was the purchase reciept from the hardware vendor. Oh and I forgot, they paid for the shipping!

Another (more recently) time a windows 2003 server was down at a municiple building. I was not the contracted vendor. I just happened to be the guy they called. It was Friday on a soon to be holiday weekend. They answered the phone and based on our Product ID on the Server OS, we were escalated to the proper department. Then after a little research the engineer was able to pull up our support options which were outstanding. In less then four hours we had an Engineer assisting us with the down server. If not for excellent registration and software authentication systems this kind of service would have not been possible.

Product Authentication & Registration is absolutely the same as registering your car for the manufacturers warranty. The auto manufacturer would not warrant a car they could not verify was from their factory no more than a software company will warrant or support software that it cannot authenticate.

-James

www.dotnetisv.com

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.