Tech Off Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Mailing labels in SQL reporting

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    qwert231

First of all, why is it I can never print Avery Labels well in a Microsoft product?
    Well, that's a side question.

I'm trying to set up a SQL report for Avery Labels (#5960) and having trouble doing so.

First thing I did was create a report that would get the data I wanted. Done.

Then I created textboxes linked to the data fields I wanted and removed the default data table. I set the Layout to fit the sheet. (3 columns, spacing of .125 in (1/8 inch), Top/Bottom margin of .5in, Left/Right of .125in)

My 2 issues:
    When I print a test, (the report gets exported to PDF) the horizontal (Left/Right/Width) spacing is fine. The height is wrong. The first column data is 1 line lower then the last 2 columns. The first column data is also 7/8 inches from the top. There are 13 rows, where there should only be 10.

Next, how can I create a ASP.Net page that sends a PDF file directly to the user so they do not have to export it? (For instance, the user clicks a button called 'Report' and then gets the 'Download File' dialog for a PDF file.)

• User profile image
    figuerres

i do not recall where but google for a template for mailing lables, there are some good ones that help get the settings right for this.

printing, you can write a server side .net class that prints a report and prints it to a printer so i guess you can also save it or send it to the user.

look at the report server samples they show a basic one that gets all the pages and had the plumbing for it.

back in sql 2000 I did this for an office, i am sure I can recall most of what I did but it's been 9 years.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    staceyw

Funny you ask.  I put a pretty good post together here on sql reports and using a Dymo.
    http://staceyw.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!F4A38E96E598161E!1570.entry
    Not exactly what you asked for, but should be able to use some ideas.
    I strongly recommend getting a ~$100 Dymo for labels.  Fast, cheap, no toner, labels don't jam in a fuser, and prints just the exact number of labels you need (also nice sorted left to right) without all those extra sheets with 8 labels left on them.  Much easier then using laser labels IMHO and easier to rip and stick in a production fashion.

@dotnetisv: I will code for food and Jameson Whiskey  Smiley

• User profile image
    qwert231

So, I got the labels to line up.

Now I just need the button to return a file to download.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.