Tech Off Thread

9 posts

Windows CE Networking

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    samer

Based on littleguru's suggestion, here goes...

I have just been able to use eBoot on an ICOP eBox to download a WinCE image from platform builer. (eBoot = ethernet boot) so naturally the network is working.

The strange thing is that while I can ping from my desktop machine to the eBox I cannot ping from my eBox to my desktop machine. The ping failed and I get "error code 11010". Another wierd thing is that if I do a tracert from my eBox to the desktop it says it is tarce route to "SAMER" (so it detects the machine name!!!) but like the ping the tracert fails and doesn't show any hops.

I can't get my head around it.

PS: In case you were wondering:
    I'm not using DHCP and I do not have access to a DHCP server. The "network" is just a cross cable between my desktop machine and the eBox.

Thanks for your help.
    Samer

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

Apparently error code 11010 is WSA_QOS_ADMISSION_FAILURE ('Error due to lack of resources.'). I'm not sure what this means in this context, though! I did read something when searching that suggests you'll get this error code if there's no reply.

If you have XP SP2 with Windows Firewall, ping (ICMP Echo) is disabled by default unless you have opened port 445, which is done if you enable file sharing in the Firewall configuration. You can either enable file sharing, or go to the Advanced tab, then under ICMP, click Settings. Check 'Allow incoming echo request' and OK.

• User profile image
    samer

Thanks for the tip!!! That was exactly it!! (Thanks Mike)

but........... (there's always a but isn't there?!)

Since I got that working, I thought of adding and removing some components and recompiling the image. For some reason the only network connection I get is VMINI1 which gets an IP address and it says the address type is DHCP.

1 - There is no DHCP server how did it get that IP?
    2 - Where did the regular network connection go?

Thanks

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

I'm not well versed in this topic, however the only thing that comes to mind is Internet Connection Sharing, which sets up a DHCP server so that other computers on your network may automatically gain access to the internet through your box without any additional configuration. Could this be what is causing it?

• User profile image
    samer

I don't think so, because I connect to the internet via LAN and I connect to my eBox via another LAN card......(and plus I don't even have Internet Connection Sharing Turned on!!)

• User profile image
    samer

it seems I've hit a brick wall with this question....so I'll take it slow.....

What is the VMINI1 connection? is there anything special about it?

Thanks

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

It's a VMini adapter with a '1' suffix to indicate the first instance of this adapter. It looks like VMini is a virtual adapter driver.

I think the topic "Enabling the VMini Virtual Adapter" might help. See also "Ethernet Debug Sharing Procedures".

• User profile image
    d34m0n1x

I have same error, error 11010. Problem was in encryption. My wireless card couldn't handle with 26 signs key. Then I try to connect to other AP without) encryption(without WEP key). Then I pinged without any problems. I have to upgrade my orinoco wireless card.

• User profile image
    ben2004uk

I really want a ICOP eBox as a NAS (like in the video) but sadly being a student I can't afford it Crying

Sorry to jump on the thread.  Just thought I would post that Smiley

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.