Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows 7 strange locked files hidden to explorer...?

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    pompomJuice

Hi there.

I am using virtual dub to concatenate AVI segments. After virtual dub was done I noticed that I could not access any Folders or files created through Virtual Dub.

For example, if I do Virtual Dub -> File -> Open -> Right click -> Create Folder

That  folder is not visible from anywhere but inside Virtual Dub. Inside virtual dub the folder also has this little lock at the bottom. Files created by virtual dub also have this lock and are also missing when trying to get to them via explorer...

Any ideas?

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

What is the location you're trying to write to? If it's Program Files or something similar, it's possible you're getting hit by file virtualization which means your files are in %localappdata%\VirtualStore.

• User profile image
    pompomJuice

Sven Groot said:
    What is the location you're trying to write to? If it's Program Files or something similar, it's possible you're getting hit by file virtualization which means your files are in %localappdata%\VirtualStore.
    Interesting comment.

I was using SuperC converter to convert VOBs to AVI which I then concatinated with VirtualDub. SuperC dumps its file in "Program Files(x86)" which I then concatenated to the same location... lemmy test that...

Ok it does not help. If I save the files in c:\ I still can only access it with virtual dub. (Since virtual dub created it it must be linked to the files somehow )

I have a workaround. Basically open the "Open File Dialog" and right click the file and compress it. Then only the compression program (7zip in my case) can "see" the files, but when you uncompress it it saves in a way that explorer can get to the file.

What is this?

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/pompomJuice/MIA.jpg

• User profile image
    figuerres

pompomJuice said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*
    Interesting comment.

I was using SuperC converter to convert VOBs to AVI which I then concatinated with VirtualDub. SuperC dumps its file in "Program Files(x86)" which I then concatenated to the same location... lemmy test that...

Ok it does not help. If I save the files in c:\ I still can only access it with virtual dub. (Since virtual dub created it it must be linked to the files somehow )

I have a workaround. Basically open the "Open File Dialog" and right click the file and compress it. Then only the compression program (7zip in my case) can "see" the files, but when you uncompress it it saves in a way that explorer can get to the file.

What is this?

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/pompomJuice/MIA.jpg

Hmmm....

Apps that write user data in Program Files need to be sent back to the developers for fixing!

Verboten to write there!  windows app guidelines for one thing, also best practice for beeing able to backup user data and keeping data "per user".

• User profile image
    littleguru

These two are system files.

hiberfil.sys: used for hibernation. that's where windows saves the memory when you go into hibernate.
    pagefile.sys: used to move stuff out of the memory (RAM) and store onto the disk, if not needed for a while. this is done to have only the important stuff in memory. it's called paging.

Try to check %localappdata%\VirtualStore (enter that in the address bar of Windows Explorer and press Enter) for your files. Windows Vista/7 has a file system virtualization system and that seems to kick in here...

• User profile image
    stevo_

What happens if you click the button 'compatability files' when you are looking at C: ?

• User profile image
    AndyC

It's file virtualisation (as others have suggested). The "Compatibility Files" button only shows up if Windows has virtualized files in that location. Since both Program Files and the root of the drive aren't writable by Standard Users, the File and Registry Virtualization appcompat shim will have written them to the user's virtualstore instead (assuming SuperC isn't manifested as Vista compatible, which seems unlikely given it's defaults).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.