Tech Off Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

possibly useful app i made that displays all .net colours elegantly

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    giddy

hi,

So I'm finally ready to showcase one of my apps, and its been almost a year since i stopped making any pet apps... and surprisingly this app is over 1.5 years old!!

There always comes a time when you're coding and you suddenly need to know what one of the .net colours you're going to use looks like, especially with those whimsical names. So I made this up......tell me what you guys think?? Thmbsup

Features:

• The colours tumble correctly no matter what the form size is.
    • Clicking on the boxes highlights them and copies the hex code onto clipboard.

Issues

• Sizing the form to show either one or only two coloumns of colours ends up with the scrollbar not scrolling all the way, which is a really wierd bug btw!

Download it here :

Generic Forum Image

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Nice.

What about hanging it on C9's sandbox for download?  Smiley

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

nice, even thought I'd usually use Paint.NET or similar, you may want to sort them

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Visual Element Brower already does this, in addition to showing visual-style renderable elements.

• User profile image
    giddy

W3bbo said:

Visual Element Brower already does this, in addition to showing visual-style renderable elements.

Ah, I figured there could be an app similar/better than mine!

@IonTodirel : What do you mean by sort them?

@JohnAskew : Oh, didn't know about the sandbox forum... is it ok if i make another post there, or can I have a mod move this post there??

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

giddy said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

@IonTodirel : What do you mean by sort them?

@JohnAskew : Oh, didn't know about the sandbox forum... is it ok if i make another post there, or can I have a mod move this post there??

>@IonTodirel : What do you mean by sort them?
    the colors by... color

>@JohnAskew : Oh, didn't know about the sandbox forum... is it ok if i make another post there, or can I have a mod move this post there??
    that would definitely won't happen on channel9 Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Ion Todirel said:
    giddy said:
    *snip*

>@IonTodirel : What do you mean by sort them?
    the colors by... color

>@JohnAskew : Oh, didn't know about the sandbox forum... is it ok if i make another post there, or can I have a mod move this post there??
    that would definitely won't happen on channel9 Smiley

Ion: ah yes, but how do you sort-by-color?

Do you sort by luminosity? hue / chromiance? and then using which color model: HSB/RGB or the more scientific Lab system?

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

W3bbo said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

Ion: ah yes, but how do you sort-by-color?

Do you sort by luminosity? hue / chromiance? and then using which color model: HSB/RGB or the more scientific Lab system?

my thoughts were on Lab, somehow it feels more familiar and easier to find what yo need, with

• User profile image
    giddy

Ion Todirel said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

my thoughts were on Lab, somehow it feels more familiar and easier to find what yo need, with

acutally the idea of leaving it alphabetically sorted is that its easier to find the colour you're looking for because you would probably only know the name which is what the app is for...

Would it be useful to sort it by colour? If so, that would be a little complex, how would i do that?

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

giddy said:
    Ion Todirel said:
    *snip*

acutally the idea of leaving it alphabetically sorted is that its easier to find the colour you're looking for because you would probably only know the name which is what the app is for...

Would it be useful to sort it by colour? If so, that would be a little complex, how would i do that?

If you want to give the user an easy way to find a color by name, you should add a Search-field; preferably one that filters the items while the user is typing. You could also make it more intelligent by automatically interpreting "grey" as "gray".

EDIT: if the user types "green", he would see all green colors (darkgreen, lightgreen, ...), which you can't do with regular alphabetic sorting.

• User profile image
    giddy

TommyCarlier said:
    giddy said:
    *snip*

If you want to give the user an easy way to find a color by name, you should add a Search-field; preferably one that filters the items while the user is typing. You could also make it more intelligent by automatically interpreting "grey" as "gray".

EDIT: if the user types "green", he would see all green colors (darkgreen, lightgreen, ...), which you can't do with regular alphabetic sorting.

Interesting.... I might try it....

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.