Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Turning off FUS in Windows 7

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Doctor Who

How do I turn off fast user switching in Windows 7?

• User profile image
    lensman

pardon my ignorance but why would you want to?  Simply do not login more than once.

• User profile image
    figuerres

lensman said:

pardon my ignorance but why would you want to?  Simply do not login more than once.

well what about a business setting, some corp. policy are that users log off not leave a pc logged in. they want classic login / logout on desktops.

thats one case. there are others.

• User profile image
    spivonious

I don't know for sure, but wouldn't it be somewhere in the group policy?

• User profile image
    Dexter

spivonious said:

I don't know for sure, but wouldn't it be somewhere in the group policy?

Yep, there is something in group policy. See "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Hide Entry Points for Fast User Switching".

• User profile image
    LeoDavidson

This guide for Vista looks like it should still work:

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/128/1/How-to-disable-Fast-User-Switching-in-Windows-Vista.html

The options are still there in Windows 7. (I haven't actually tried them, and I'm not on a domain, but they are still in the same place except that Local Computer Policy has been renamed to Computer Configuration in the tree on the left of gpedit.msc.)

• User profile image
    Doctor Who

lensman said:

I do not want to, but my kids do, a lot! They'll get multiple logins going, walk away, forget what they're doing, and then someone comes up and tries to shut down the system.  Now, there's something like 3 or 4 logins running who knows what, because everyone has forgotten what they were doing, etc, but there goes the machine, shutting down.

This has happened so many times to us that I now routinely disable FUS, as a matter of course, because I cannot trust my family to just log in once.

And that is the reason why I want to know how to disable fast user switching.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.