Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Turning off FUS in Windows 7

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • Doctor Who

How do I turn off fast user switching in Windows 7?

• lensman

pardon my ignorance but why would you want to?  Simply do not login more than once.

• figuerres

lensman said:

pardon my ignorance but why would you want to?  Simply do not login more than once.

well what about a business setting, some corp. policy are that users log off not leave a pc logged in. they want classic login / logout on desktops.

thats one case. there are others.

• spivonious

I don't know for sure, but wouldn't it be somewhere in the group policy?

• Dexter

spivonious said:

I don't know for sure, but wouldn't it be somewhere in the group policy?

Yep, there is something in group policy. See "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Hide Entry Points for Fast User Switching".

• LeoDavidson

This guide for Vista looks like it should still work:

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/128/1/How-to-disable-Fast-User-Switching-in-Windows-Vista.html

The options are still there in Windows 7. (I haven't actually tried them, and I'm not on a domain, but they are still in the same place except that Local Computer Policy has been renamed to Computer Configuration in the tree on the left of gpedit.msc.)

• Doctor Who

lensman said:

I do not want to, but my kids do, a lot! They'll get multiple logins going, walk away, forget what they're doing, and then someone comes up and tries to shut down the system.  Now, there's something like 3 or 4 logins running who knows what, because everyone has forgotten what they were doing, etc, but there goes the machine, shutting down.

This has happened so many times to us that I now routinely disable FUS, as a matter of course, because I cannot trust my family to just log in once.

And that is the reason why I want to know how to disable fast user switching.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.