Tech Off Thread

15 posts

Two burning questions: Outlook 2003 & Critical Updates

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    rjcampbell

1.  We run SBS 2000 server with Exchange Server 2000 and Outlook 2003 clients.  Even though we specifically publish our free/busy schedule under Calendar Options to a folder on the server, the free/busy info does not show up when I go into Calendar->Actions->View Group Schedules.  How do we get the free/busy info to publish in Outlook 2003?

2.  I check for Windows critical updates periodically even though you advertise that you only publish once per month.  (Sometimes there are out of cycle updates).  Sometimes a driver update shows up in critical updates.  If I choose not to update the driver, and check again the next day, the driver update does not show up in Critical updates.  What's up with that?  (I don't necessarily trust driver updates since I saw Dell workstations show a HP Server hard drive controller update as critical, among other things.)

Thank you!

• User profile image
    E-bitz

Dude!  If this is a burning question what are you doing on Channel 9 asking this?  Dude!  Come over to the Communities and newsgroups over at news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000
     or http://www.microsoft.com/sbserver/community/default.asp

We have a whole newsgroup community supporting SBS 2k that is devoted to SBS.  Check out www.sbslinks.com for more web sites and www.msmvps.com/bradley for a SBS blog.  We also have Yahoogroups supporting SBS2k and 2k3 and SBS usergroups.

Okay to clarify your first question... all of these workstations are

a.  joined to the domain
    b.  using Exchange as their mail server

I don't chose to publish anything to any folder on the server... it's just takes care of all that information for me BUT I must use the Exchange server on the back end.

Next on number 2... Security updates do indeed only come out once an month unless they are an "out of band" patch.  Drivers are not security updates.  For the record I never patch my server with Driver updates only with security updates [the top tier]

So RJ come on over to the community for SBS2k and get real tech support from IT pros and not from these Dev type people  Smiley

Susan

• User profile image
    Charles

E-bitz wrote:

So RJ come on over to the community for SBS2k and get real tech support from IT pros and not from these Dev type people  Smiley

Susan

Susan,

Channel 9 is not just for People of type Dev. We also support types IT, Executive, Test, Management, Mathematician, Magician, Logician; to name a few.

Think of Channel 9 as a place to seek out technical support from your peers (some of whom will be the people who wrote the code that is causing you grief or making you very happy; and it's always fine to share that too), share your ideas, learn from others, teach. All that is required, and I use the term loosely, is that we keep content at least tangentially related to computing.

We have forums that are appropriate for all types.

Welcome aboard.

Charles

• User profile image
    E-bitz

Just a joke  Smiley  But truly not exactly a place where your normal SBSer geek hangs out.

....uh.. wait.... I'm here aren't I?

Seriously though there are resources that RJ isn't taking advantage of and I want to herd him back to where there are TONS of resources. 

It just points out that NNTP isn't cutting it and the resources of the SBS community are not being found.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Susan,

I love your community and what you've done.

Who would you like us to interview on the SBS team?

• User profile image
    Charles

E-bitz wrote:
    Just a joke  Smiley  But truly not exactly a place where your normal SBSer geek hangs out.

....uh.. wait.... I'm here aren't I?

Seriously though there are resources that RJ isn't taking advantage of and I want to herd him back to where there are TONS of resources. 

It just points out that NNTP isn't cutting it and the resources of the SBS community are not being found.

Absolutely. Now that you've posted where to find SBS resources on the Internet here on Channel 9 you've increased the surface area of SBS resource discoverability.

Charles

• User profile image
    E-bitz

Mir Rosenberg is the Community PM and before her was Charlie Anthe.  But the list is endless of the folks on the SBS team that are good candidates.  Derek Brown just came on board, Sean Daniel is "Mr. Mobility", Paul Fitzgerald is "Mr. Group Policy", Alan Billharz is "Mr. Remote Wizard"... I could go on but you get the idea  Smiley

• User profile image
    rjcampbell

Susan, I know that the free/busy information automatically publishes with Outlook 2002 clients.  But I am saying that it does not automatically publish with Outlook 2003 clients.  We have two installations with this exact configuration (Exchange 2000 running on a SBS 2k server) and neither one publishes free/busy info for Outlook 2003 clients.

And yes, I have seen driver updates show up in critical updates on occasion.  I was wondering why this happens.

RJ (dudette)

• User profile image
    E-bitz

Sorry Dudette  Smiley  I have 2003 here [but admittedly 100% 2k3] and I'm picking up the info from Free busy just fine.  Is it a mixture of Outlook versions?  I don't look to a public folder, I'm just picking it up from the Calendar. 

On the sbs2k-subscribe@yahoogroup[removethisantispam].com One person had this issue and it was an issue due to mixtures of OUtlook and profile that had to be rebuilt.

IMHO I've only seen those critical "drivers" happen with Dell.... is it a dell?  They should not be up there.

Susan

• User profile image
    E-bitz

Also try it with and without the "cached" mode.  [and I meant to say 100% Outlook 2003 and still Exchange 2k and the free busy is "there"

• User profile image
    rjcampbell

One installation is a mixture.  One is not: they upgraded all Outlook installations from 2002 to 2003.

On the criticals, yes, it's Dells.  The latest one was just this month: a video driver, I believe.

• User profile image
    E-bitz

Yup I've seen that on my Dell workstations.  I say.. no way Jose ... that's not a "critical" patch.

Me thinks we need to kick that up some OEM channels somewhere and give Dell feedback.  They should never be up in that "critical" section.

Try rebuilding that Outlook profile and flipping on/off the cached mode.  Knock on wood mine here are all working like a champ.

• User profile image
    rjcampbell

I could try rebuilding the profiles.  What I was hoping for was that some knowledgeable Microsoftie would know the answer.  Channel 9 opened with a lot of fanfare in the technical press and I was hoping it would live up to its hype.

I have 20 years of technical experience and I have Googled this question six ways to Sunday.  I've searched the MS knowledge base.  I've played with the cache mode.  As a MS VAR we even have special 800 numbers and userids.  But this could not be qualified as a "server down" situation by any stretch of the imagination.  I'm not asking anyone to do my work for me but I have yet to see any of the much vaunted "interaction with our customers".

Microsoft: I'm not impressed, only as frustrated as I was before.

• User profile image
    E-bitz

Your best bet is going to an Outlook resource and not necessarily here.

I've seen this issue on my own SBS 2000 with one profile with public folders used for contact information and if I don't use Exchanged Cached mode the information gets updated.

• User profile image
    E-bitz

228937 - OL98: Calendar Problems with Outlook 98:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228937

http://www.petri.co.il/gal_problems_and_oab_automatic_updates_in_outlook_2003.htm

Like I said, you may want to post in an Outlook newsgroup or forum.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.