Tech Off Thread

10 posts

Windows 7 Backup error 0x80070005

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • Doctor Who

Windows 7 suggested that I setup a backup job, to backup to an external hard drive.  I've got such a drive and thought that was a good idea, so I setup the default job that Windows 7 Backup suggested and let it run.  It failed with a 0x80070005 error ("Access is denied").  I'm not sure why access would be denied, as I supplied it my own credentials and I'm an administrator.

So, what's the problem?

• ManipUni

That error code is very general. It could be failed authenication but then again it could be that it failed to get access to the files it was trying to copy or the destination it is trying to copy to.

Does your admin' account have a password (instead of no password)?

Are you able to open the files you're attempting to copy?

Are you trying to copy a Junction Point?

Did you try using the System account?

• LeoDavidson

Is the external hard drive formatted as NTFS? Was it formatted on another machine?

It could be that you need to fix-up the file/folder permissions on the external drive so that your account is allowed to write to it.

• Doctor Who

ManipUni said:

That error code is very general. It could be failed authenication but then again it could be that it failed to get access to the files it was trying to copy or the destination it is trying to copy to.

Does your admin' account have a password (instead of no password)?

Are you able to open the files you're attempting to copy?

Are you trying to copy a Junction Point?

Did you try using the System account?

The admi account does have a password, which I've entered

Yes, I'm able to access the files I'm attempting to copy.

I don't know what a Junction Point is, so I don't know if I'm attempting to copy it or not.

No, I'm not using a System account.

The external hard drive is not formatted as NTFS, it is a FAT32.  Actually, it just might be formatted with NTDS.  I didn't do that initially, so I under why it is not formatted in NTFS?  Anyway, I'll check the permissions on the folder.

• Doctor Who

Doctor Who said:
    ManipUni said:
    *snip*

The admi account does have a password, which I've entered

Yes, I'm able to access the files I'm attempting to copy.

I don't know what a Junction Point is, so I don't know if I'm attempting to copy it or not.

No, I'm not using a System account.

The external hard drive is not formatted as NTFS, it is a FAT32.  Actually, it just might be formatted with NTDS.  I didn't do that initially, so I under why it is not formatted in NTFS?  Anyway, I'll check the permissions on the folder.

I've double checked - it is an NTFS partition.

I've run the backup again, and got the same error message.  There's something more that might help.  It says:

Access is denied
    Details: The handle is invalid

What "handle" is invalid?

• ManipUni

Doctor Who said:
    Doctor Who said:
    *snip*

I've run the backup again, and got the same error message.  There's something more that might help.  It says:

Access is denied

Running out of space?

Copying "Users" folder, or any user, on Vista/Win7?

Try copying something from a different source to a different destination so we can exclude authentication problems.

• AndyC

Doctor Who said:
    Doctor Who said:
    *snip*

Access is denied

What are the ACLs on the external drive set to?

• Doctor Who

ManipUni said:
    Doctor Who said:
    *snip*

Running out of space?

Copying "Users" folder, or any user, on Vista/Win7?

Try copying something from a different source to a different destination so we can exclude authentication problems.

I suppose its possible I could be running out of space on the external HD, but its got 364 GB of free space.

• Doctor Who

AndyC said:
    Doctor Who said:
    *snip*

What are the ACLs on the external drive set to?

How do I determine the ACL's of the external HD?  And should I do this through the software?  What I mean is, should I do it through the software interface I use to administer the external HD?  Its a Western Digital external HD, which I've got shared out on my Linksys router.  I administer it through some Linksys software.

• AndyC

Doctor Who said:
    AndyC said:
    *snip*

How do I determine the ACL's of the external HD?  And should I do this through the software?  What I mean is, should I do it through the software interface I use to administer the external HD?  Its a Western Digital external HD, which I've got shared out on my Linksys router.  I administer it through some Linksys software.

Ah, then you have a whole new world of pain. It'll depend on how the Linksys router exposes it (Share permissions?) and the underlying ACLs of the filesystem (whatever that may be). The filesystem ACLs can be viewed with icacls, but you're pretty much on your own when it comes to anything the Linksys box is doing.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.