Tech Off Thread

3 posts

Need help learning visual Studio.

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • pdcjlw1

I've been in computers for some time. I learned to code on a Dec Vax system. Back then I coded in Basic, Cobol, some Assembly and a little Pascal. I am trying to make the transition from these procedural languages into the Object oriented, event driven, world of windows and the internet. I was wondering what suggestions you would have for someone moving from the procedural to Visual Studio. I have done some basic programs in Visual Studio, but  I still have problems with the dot notation. I also struggle with the idea of objects and inheritance and with the role that framework plays in a visual studio application. Do you have any suggestions that may help me make the transistion?

• Dr Herbie

I've found Wrox press to be quite good for these kinds of kick-starts.  How about 'Beginning Microsoft Visual C# 2008 '.  It's more up to date than the book I learned C# from (for .NETv1.0). They tend to go through the process from the Visual Studio UI with lots of screenshots.

Herbie

• figuerres

just to i hope clarify :

what you are really looking for is information on two things:

Object Oriented programming

Windows Programming

Visual STudio helps but is not the "key" in this.

in fact you can write small programs in C# with just notepad and the command line to compile and run them.

VS is good but you do not have to even use it.

if you want to get a good foundation in OO stuff be sure to read up on things like SmallTalk and Java in addition to .Net

just to get a wide overview of it.

The windows stuff there are loads of good books out there....

and ask questions here when you have them... there are a bunch of folks here who will jump in and help.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.