Tech Off Thread

4 posts

XP TaskMan, 'Windows Security' Box

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Manip

Before the .Net 2 beta fried my system I, at some point configured it not to show the 'Windows Security' box. That is the box that appears when you press CTRL-ALT-DELETE but instead when it was pressed taskman would automatically appear. This is kind of an odd question but does anyone know what I changed the first time to get the desired effect.

• User profile image
    curobosqui

I think (and I'm really not sure) that you are referring to something sometimes known as "Require users to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete before loggin on". This can be found in the Users and Passwords control panel in Windows 2000 (Advanced Tab). But in the title you mention XP, which seems odd to me. The default is to show the task manager in XP, at least when the machine is not in a domain.

Anyway, check here or here to see if it solves your issue, or look for "require CTRL+ALT+DEL before login" in Google. Hope this help.

• User profile image
    Manip

No.. that was not what I was talking about (and is not what I described). I am talking about when you hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE (from desktop etc) it just loads taskman.. no 'Shut Down' 'Lock Workstation' etc buttons.

• User profile image
    Neal

If you use XP in a stand-alone or workgroup configuration and log onto the system with the Welcome screen, the three-finger-salute (CTRL-ALT-DELETE) will immediately bring up the Task Manager not the Security Box.

Windows Logo Key + L is an alternative to locking your computer as well, if thats what you're looking for.

Neal

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.