Tech Off Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Sharepoint Designer ????

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Prakash4u

Is it possible to do code development like event handling,gridbinding,masterpage,state management,etc..

only with the Sharepoint Designer ????

Thanks in advance

• User profile image
    fabian

No, you need visual studio for that. SharePoint designer can't compile anything.

• User profile image
    Prakash4u

fabian said:

No, you need visual studio for that. SharePoint designer can't compile anything.

Hi fabian,

I also thought the same but some of google search results & blogs saying that we can customize (80 % whatever do in .net) in sharepoint designer using jquery,xslt,webservices.

Is really possible ??? If Yes How ????

Thanks in advance

• User profile image
    fabian

Prakash4u said:
    fabian said:
    *snip*

Hi fabian,

I also thought the same but some of google search results & blogs saying that we can customize (80 % whatever do in .net) in sharepoint designer using jquery,xslt,webservices.

Is really possible ??? If Yes How ????

Thanks in advance

You can customize materpage, page layouts (or create new), xml, css etc ... but not files containing c# code

To customize the site you just press file --> open site --> and enter the Url to the site.

My advice is NOT to user SharePoint designer. You can face deployment and performance issues. A page that has been modified by SharePoint cannot be cached. That includes all the custom caching you might be using the your custom code (HttpContent.Current.Cache).

Page/masterpages that you have modified using SharePoint designer has been ghosted. See http://blogs.msdn.com/michael_yeager/archive/2007/11/03/sharepoint-terms-ghosted-unghosted-and-reghosted.aspx

That said I am involved in an Internet facing site that has been build almost entirely using SharePoint designer and that works and preform ok (no customer complains regarding perfomance). But deployment of new code is a hell. That site was one of the first sites in the world to launch on MOSS 2007 and we didn't know better. We do now ...

The recommende way it to customize SharePoint using Feature. WSP Builder will help you build, debug and deploy those. http://www.codeplex.com/wspbuilder

WSP Builder is an extension to Visual Studio.

Best advice i can give you is to build EVERYTHING using feature and don't use SharePoint designer in the production environment.

• User profile image
    Compiled​Monkey

fabian said:
    Prakash4u said:
    *snip*

You can customize materpage, page layouts (or create new), xml, css etc ... but not files containing c# code

To customize the site you just press file --> open site --> and enter the Url to the site.

My advice is NOT to user SharePoint designer. You can face deployment and performance issues. A page that has been modified by SharePoint cannot be cached. That includes all the custom caching you might be using the your custom code (HttpContent.Current.Cache).

Page/masterpages that you have modified using SharePoint designer has been ghosted. See http://blogs.msdn.com/michael_yeager/archive/2007/11/03/sharepoint-terms-ghosted-unghosted-and-reghosted.aspx

That said I am involved in an Internet facing site that has been build almost entirely using SharePoint designer and that works and preform ok (no customer complains regarding perfomance). But deployment of new code is a hell. That site was one of the first sites in the world to launch on MOSS 2007 and we didn't know better. We do now ...

The recommende way it to customize SharePoint using Feature. WSP Builder will help you build, debug and deploy those. http://www.codeplex.com/wspbuilder

Best advice i can give you is to build EVERYTHING using feature and don't use SharePoint designer in the production environment.

Put simply, SharePoint Designer is complete junk. Smiley

• User profile image
    fabian

CompiledMonkey said:
    fabian said:
    *snip*

Put simply, SharePoint Designer is complete junk. Smiley

ahhhh not entirely. Our HTML designer often design new page layout and masterpages using SharePoint designer because they get a lot of great intellisence help. When they are are done we extract the modified files and put them into a feature. But SharePoint designer are banned from production environments.

• User profile image
    Prakash4u

fabian said:
    CompiledMonkey said:
    *snip*

ahhhh not entirely. Our HTML designer often design new page layout and masterpages using SharePoint designer because they get a lot of great intellisence help. When they are are done we extract the modified files and put them into a feature. But SharePoint designer are banned from production environments.

Hi fabian,

Thanks for ur worth advice...  Cool

• User profile image
    SharePoint Mark

fabian said:
    Prakash4u said:
    *snip*

Fabian, your referenced link contradicts what you say:

"A request for a Customized (Un-Ghosted) page returns a response which is a combination of data from both the file system and the database. In v2 this was a performance hit, and you wanted to avoid having a large number of sites that were Un-Ghosted. In v3 - caching etc. has been improved, and you are encouraged to use SharePoint Designer to do as much customization as you want."

The benefits you get of speedy cosmetic changes can outweigh the time and dependency you have on the development of features getting moved from dev/test/prod.   Features should be used for global changes.

If anyone is having performance issues, try beefier servers and a larger farm to serve those requests.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.