Tech Off Post

Single Post Permalink

View Thread: Newbie need walk through publishing ASP.NET app--I show screenshots
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

PJL said:
    W3bbo said:
    *snip*

Right W3bbo.  I could slog through all that.  But wait I have a better idea.  You are the person I need to do all of this in a flash--probably without even thinking twice--send me an email quoting a price to rent from you please to: pljprogrammer@live.com  I am a poor Greek in a bankrupt country so any concession you could make on price would be greatly appreciated.  I actually do have a guy I am using in the USA (he helped load one of my Silverlight apps, which ran for about a week before somehow the permissions changed on the folder it was running on and now it's inaccessible), and he's earnest, but lacks experience with programming and appears very overworked.  I rather just use you.  Also I need to be able to run databases on occasion in SQL Server Express.  BTW I figured out a trick the other day where the database, though a trick in the connect string ("Data Source=|DataDirectory|UserData"), can reside in a subfolder in the folder your database app runs in, which makes maintainace easier I imagine because you don't have to copy the database into a central depository, but I digress.

You mention web config file, and once I did have to play with the switches and XML in one such file when I was doing a login page for ASP.NET, so I do have a vague understanding of the same, but below is a simple "Hello World" Web.config file, and as you can see it's quite complicated looking (to me).  A lot of this stuff is signing off on your executables with a public key so they can't be spoofed I think, and other such stuff, but to me it looks pretty daunting.  There's a gulf between theory and practice that you, having mastered both, can bridge.  I myself was tickled pink the other day when I managed to build and then consume a 'web service' following an example in a textbook.  But getting such a web service to run outside of localhost might be another matter (maybe not, with your help)?!

PJ

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<configuration>

<configSections>

<sectionGroup>

<sectionGroup>

<section requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

<sectionGroup>

<section requirePermission="false" allowDefinition="Everywhere"/>

</sectionGroup>

</sectionGroup>

</sectionGroup>

</configSections>

<appSettings/>

<connectionStrings/>

<system.web>

<!--

Set compilation debug="true" to insert debugging

symbols into the compiled page. Because this

affects performance, set this value to true only

during development.

-->

<compilation debug="true">

<assemblies>

<add assembly="System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

<add assembly="System.Data.DataSetExtensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

<add assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3845AD364E35"/>

<add assembly="System.Xml.Linq, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B77A5C561934E089"/>

</assemblies>

</compilation>

<!--

The <authentication> section enables configuration

of the security authentication mode used by

ASP.NET to identify an incoming user.

-->

<authentication mode="Windows"/>

<!--

The <customErrors> section enables configuration

of what to do if/when an unhandled error occurs

during the execution of a request. Specifically,

it enables developers to configure html error pages

to be displayed in place of a error stack trace.

<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="GenericErrorPage.htm">

<error statusCode="403" redirect="NoAccess.htm" />

<error statusCode="404" redirect="FileNotFound.htm" />

</customErrors>

-->

<pages>

<controls>

<add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3845AD364E35"/>

<add tagPrefix="asp" namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls" assembly="System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3845AD364E35"/>

</controls>

</pages>

<httpHandlers>

<remove verb="*" path="*.asmx"/>

<add verb="*" path="*.asmx" validate="false"/>

<add verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" validate="false"/>

<add verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" validate="false"/>

</httpHandlers>

<httpModules>

<add/>

</httpModules>

</system.web>

<system.codedom>

<compilers>

<compiler extension=".cs" warningLevel="4">

<providerOption value="v3.5"/>

<providerOption value="false"/>

</compiler>

</compilers>

</system.codedom>

<!--

The system.webServer section is required for running ASP.NET AJAX under Internet

Information Services 7.0.  It is not necessary for previous version of IIS.

-->

<system.webServer>

<validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false"/>

<modules>

<remove/>

<add preCondition="managedHandler"/>

</modules>

<handlers>

<remove/>

<remove/>

<remove/>

<remove/>

<add verb="*" path="*.asmx" preCondition="integratedMode"/>

<add verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" preCondition="integratedMode"/>

<add preCondition="integratedMode" verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd"/>

</handlers>

</system.webServer>

<runtime>

<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">

<dependentAssembly>

<assemblyIdentity publicKeyToken="31bf3845ad364e35"/>

<bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0"/>

</dependentAssembly>

<dependentAssembly>

<assemblyIdentity publicKeyToken="31bf3845ad364e35"/>

<bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-1.1.0.0" newVersion="3.5.0.0"/>

</dependentAssembly>

</assemblyBinding>

</runtime>

</configuration>

uhm, okay...

I've added your pljpro...@live.com address to my Messenger contact lists, we can talk things over from there and see if we're suitable for each other.