Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Cannot send mail with C#, SSL certificate verification failed

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    Ankador21

I'm not able to send email messages to a certain smtp servers. This is the error that i'm getting in another email client:

"The SSL certificate of smtp.abv.bg cannot be verified by the following reason:
      unable to get local issuer certificate

Subject: /O=*.abv.bg/OU=Domain Control Validated/CN=*.abv.bg
    Issuer: /C=US/ST=Arizona/L=Scottsdale/O=GoDaddy.com, Inc./OU=http://certificates.godaddy.com/repository/CN=Go Daddy Secure Certification Authority/serialNumber=07969287
    Issued date: Mar 25 07:25:59 2010 GMT
    Expire date: Mar 25 07:25:59 2012 GMT

SHA1 fingerprint: 16:93:44:E5:71:BF:57:C5:0A:67:52:3B:CF:51:AC:7B:6B:71:4E:86
    MD5 fingerprint: 8C:61:90:BC:D0:95:E7:57:C5:ED:98:04:24:16:E6:D7

Do you accept this certificate?"

With some email clients you can accept the certificate temporarily or permanently, so after that you can send the message succesfuly. How to do that with a .NET code?

• User profile image
    figuerres

well really this is not something you want to code for.

the root problem is that the computer that is trying to validate the cert does not trust the ca that issued it.

at work we have seen this happen sveral times with certs from godaddy.

seems that at one time not all windows pc's had the right root ca certs that led to trusting the ca godaddy.com

best thing is to check each pc and updates it.

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

I'm missing something.  How does sending mail need an SSL certificate?

• User profile image
    cheong

Matthew van Eerde said:

I'm missing something.  How does sending mail need an SSL certificate?

You need to trust the e-cert. if your SMTP server is configured to enforce SSL connection.

I recently run into similar problem where business requires a webservice be accessed with SSL, only that the e-cert be chosen is a self-signed one. The SSL connection object from connecter factory inside Sun webserver "helpfully" rejected it as not being trusted by all trust provider it found.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

cheong said:
    Matthew van Eerde said:
    *snip*

You need to trust the e-cert. if your SMTP server is configured to enforce SSL connection.

I recently run into similar problem where business requires a webservice be accessed with SSL, only that the e-cert be chosen is a self-signed one. The SSL connection object from connecter factory inside Sun webserver "helpfully" rejected it as not being trusted by all trust provider it found.

I see, this is a local SMTP server.

Well, if it's local, it makes sense for the cert to be self-signed.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Matthew van Eerde said:
    cheong said:
    *snip*

I see, this is a local SMTP server.

Well, if it's local, it makes sense for the cert to be self-signed.

Not really, it would make sense for it to be issued by an internal CA Big Smile

• User profile image
    Matthew van Eerde

blowdart said:
    Matthew van Eerde said:
    *snip*

Not really, it would make sense for it to be issued by an internal CA Big Smile

That would work too.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.