Tech Off Thread

7 posts

Visual Database Tools aren't working, it seems

Back to Forum: Tech Off
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Before when I was using MSDE, VisualStudio connected to it fine and let me use the "Visual Database Tools" to admin my databases... y'know, stuff like "CREATE TABLE" and "PROCEDURE" and all that.

But now... I've no idea how I'm supposed to get any of that back.

I've created a database and logged in as sa, but VS only shows "Tables", "Views", and "Stored Procedures" when I expand the database tree node. The menu options for creating databases, inserting records, etc... they're all missing.

Why so? I thought sa could do anything.

• User profile image
    yag

What version of VS are you using? What version of SQL Server? Still MSDE? SQLExpress? It should all work.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

VisualStudio 2003 Academic (superset of Professional) with SQL Server 2000 Enterprise.

It's odd because when I was using MSDE a few months ago it worked fine. Another thing is, I don't know with what permissions VS uses to gain access to SQL Servers from the Server Explorer panel.

And then... how do I use "Windows Integrated" security to login to SQL Server using an account that isn't my own? (For example, I created an AD user object for my application and I'd like to use that instead)

• User profile image
    MilindL

You will need the Enterprise edition or above to use some of the data tool features against SQL2k Enterprise. You will need MSDE. See:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vdbt7/html/dvconVisualDatabaseToolsEditions.asp

Also you cannot use another user's credentials when you choose Integrated Security. Windows integrated security essentially uses your current security identity/token.

Thanks.

MilindL

• User profile image
    W3bbo

MilindL wrote:
    You will need the Enterprise edition or above to use some of the data tool features against SQL2k Enterprise. You will need MSDE.

That sucks... :/

Why the pointless limitation?

I paid for my VS and SQL Server legitimately and this is how it works?

*Urge to download VS2003 Enterprise ilegally rising*

• User profile image
    Digital Dyspraxia

I respect the fact that you feel like you should get the full feature set since you paid for the products, but is often the case, Academic versions of software do not always match the feature sets of their Enterprise counterparts.

As I see it you have a few options:

1) Contact Microsoft and see if they can help fulfill your needs as an Academic user.
    2) Learn to work within the limitations of the Academic version.
    3) Purchase the Enterprise version or an ugprade if available.
    4) Stop using the Microsoft products and use something else, and send an email stating why you are no longer a customer.

You can affect change by either paying or not paying for the products, but just becuase you don't like the licensing as it is does not give you the right to illegally download the software you were unwilling to pay for.

Why would anyone pay for the Enterprise version if the Academic version was identical? There will be differences between product versions that reflect the differences in their pricing. If you need/want the features only available in the Enterprise version, then pay for those features.

Software companies can only continue to create tools/products if they make money from selling them. If you steal the software, there will be less money to use in improving the product line.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Digital Dyspraxia wrote:
    Why would anyone pay for the Enterprise version if the Academic version was identical? There will be differences between product versions that reflect the differences in their pricing. If you need/want the features only available in the Enterprise version, then pay for those features.

The Academic edition is only available to people who can prove they're in full-time education. Otherwise they should buy Professional.

Just remember that the Enterprise edition is abhorrently expensive for a student, and I do agree with your points there.

Could I set up MSDE and administer that with Enterprise Manager or set up a replication schedule to keep the data in the two databases the same?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.